making zoos spread quicker

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

g0rFz

is there any physical way to make em migrate quicker or is it all about the params and tank?

If you want a colony of zoo's to spread around the tank, you could point a powerhead at them. They will detach from their rock and blow around the tank until they settle. Best done in a q/t so you can place them where you want in the display.

I'm not sure what to do if you just want them to grow and spread more rapidly. I guess just give them more of what they like? :)

small clusters grow new buds faster because there are more edges for them to grow out.

i.e. if you have a single cluster of 50 polyps, being that new polyps will only popup on the the outside edges, all the polyps in the center of the cluster do nothing to propagate more. So if you took those 50 polyps and broke them up into 10 smaller clusters, you'll get5 more growing.

make sense?

sparks - makes perfect sense never though of it like that...

i noticed a few of my zoos were loose and ended up floating away and now stuck on like 6 different rocks (single polyps) so we will see how they do ;)

I seem to get my zoos to spread the fastest on a Tonga type of rock I don't know the exact name of the rock but it I can describe it as being extremely branching with the branches only being aprox 1/4" apart. Maybe some one knows what type I am talking about and can give the name. Anyway I seed zoo polyps throughout the rock and they multiply like wildfire stretching from branch to branch allowing me to frag these dozens of times with out putting a dent in the population. This rock also allows for good flow in and around the zoo's. It is extremely easy to cut the rock up into 1/2" pieces with aprox 5 -10heads on each. I have some of these rocks that were seeded with only five zoos each almost 2 years ago and within months they were covered. The zoos completely covered the 10” and 14” rocks in and around with more zoos than I can count.

Back