Malaysian Trumpet Snail

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ellylove

Has any one tried them in a saltwater tank? I have tons in my freshwater and apparently they are tolerant of saltwater. Just curious. : )

Info from wiki:
Habitat

Although normally a freshwater snail, this species is very tolerant of brackish water, and has been recorded in waters with a salinity of 30 ppt, which is about 85% the salinity of normal seawater.

It is however a warm-climate species. It appears to prefer a temperature range of 18 to 25°C[3] or of 18 to 32°C. Research has been conducted to determine the snail's lethal high water temperature, which is about 50°C (120 degrees Fahrenheit).

They will last for about a week and then die. And then your water will get nasty from them being dead in your tank. The hard part is they like to dig in the sand so you wont even know where they are when they do kill over.

They will last for about a week and then die. And then your water will get nasty from them being dead in your tank. The hard part is they like to dig in the sand so you wont even know where they are when they do kill over.

Good to know. Thanks! I will definitely not try it. : )

Back