Male Bangaii holding!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Tecnomage

We went to feed them tonight and he wouldn't eat and his jaw swollen!

Sorry really excited, we were just getting ready to take them out of QT in 2 more weeks. We only got them 6 weeks ago so this is the first time they've spawned. No clue if he'll swallow the clutch or not.

Really excited now!

-Jim & Ileah

Congrats! you two, I feel a little sorry for my male Bangaii since they spawn about once every 12-15 days for a 3-4 cycle event. The male is looking pretty thin by end of each spawning cycle. I've been wanting to make/add an artificial Longspine Urchin for him to spit/deposit the babies into sooner. Maybe a few will make it into your sump and survive. Eric (eww) was able to raise a handful that way.

Cheers, Todd

They were both about the same size, it's hard to tell the sex of them without seeing a male holding a clutch then his jaw swells up.

Let me know if any of these survive and need a new home :) We can work out a trade or something. Grats!

rob

If he holds to term (heard a lot of stories of them swallowing the clutch until powerfed) and I can get a good brineshrimp setup going to feed the babies I'd be glad to save a couple for you. We got the pair to raise the fry if we could.

He swallowed them last night or this morning. Looks like it's time to power feed for the next few weeks.

If they mate again and they survive i also would like to give one or two a new home. Been trying to get some for a long time. none of my lfs are geting any in and if they do they dont have them for long. :-(

From what I read sometimes upping their feedings can help. Fed them twice a day instead of once. I still just fed them once and the male is holding again (15 days so far) so I'm starting to plan a brine shrimp hatchery :)

Also sometimes it just takes a while, ours are a pair but this is only the second time they have tried to breed and we've had them for almost 6 months. When they do settle down and breed people report its like clockwork though

Back