Mandarin Dragonet Requirements

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

namland

I am starting a 20 gallon long reef tank and wondering if a Mandarin would be able to thrive/stay healthy. In an effort to accomodate the strict requirements of the Mandarin, I plan on setting up a CPR hang on refugium with a DSB and also manually adding pods. Given this setup, would I be able to support a Mandarin within a couple months of setting up? Also, with the Mandarin being a relatively docile fish would adding a small fairy wrasse after the Mandarin create a problem?

The rest of my setup will be a nano/regular remora skimmer, Jebo 2X55 W PCs, and not sure what I am going to do about flow. Maybe a couple of maxijets. Suggestions? I am mainly looking for feedback about the Mandarin. Thanks

Nick

I wouldn't suggest ever keeping a Mandarin in a 20 gallon tank, let a lone within a couple of months of set up. Mandarin's need a LOT of pods. They need a tank large enough to hold enough live rock to sustain a population of these pods. Even with an Aquafuge, and the addition of pods, I doubt your tank would be able to sustain enough pods to keep a Mandarin alive. I keep a Mandarin in a 46 gallon. However, I have at least 75 pounds of live rock, a Large Aquafuge and the tank was very well established, almost a year old, before I added the Mandarin. I also removed any other fish that I felt would compete for the pod population and put them in my 75. My tank is even smaller than most would suggest for a Mandarin.

The addition of a Fairy Wrasse would complicate things even more. The Wrasse would out-compete the Mandarin for what available pods you do have. Being a faster eater, it wouldn't take long for a Wrasse to decimate your pod population.

Yeah, that's what I was expecting. It was more a lofty, not realistic dream. Thanks for the info. I will try to explore some different livestock options.

N.

Yeah, that's what I was expecting. It was more a lofty, not realistic dream. Thanks for the info. I will try to explore some different livestock options.

N.

actually, what has been missed id you can purchase live tiger pods at most all fish stores which contain at least 1-2 thousand pods. so keeping one in a 20 can be done if you buy live tiger pods, i know a few people that do this very thing in a nano with np's...

It wasn't missed. In the original question, adding pods was mentioned...it was also mentioned in my response. I just don't see it being viable. I also don't feel it's responsible to advise keeping a fish in a tank that likely won't sustain it. But that's just my opinion.

Last edited:
On that note What can I put in a 29 gallon tank with a 30 gallon sump with 75 lbs of live rock total to control the out brake of thousands of pods (all over glass in the morning)
With out starving the critter to control pods?????

Back