Mandarin Question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mattleycrue76

Aquajunkie
I know this topic is a little controversial but how do you know when you have enough of a pod population to support a mandarin? I don't have a fuge but I do have live rock rubble in one section on my sump as well as cheato. When I look at my tank I see (what I think to be) a lot of pods. On my leather coral, on the shells of my clams, on the substrate, and on the rock. The only fish in the tank that might compete for food is a rather smallish sixline wrasse.

If you've got a large enough tank that's been established long enough, with enough live rock...and with the rock in your sump, you'd be fine....IF you didn't have the sixline wrasse. It'll out compete the slow eating mandarin for food quickly.

Keep in mind that you can also buy pods to replenish the population when needed.

Without the six-line a tank with 50+ pounds of good live rock (no base rock) will generally have enough of a pod population to support 1 mandarin. With the six-line I'd like to see around 100 lbs of rock just to be safe.

I currently have about 80 lbs of LR and despite the sixline who has been in there for about 3 months I see alot of pods. Does anyone know how much live pods are? I've heard they're pretty spendy.

Back