mandarin woohoo>>>

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

As other have said, so not beating a dead horse. They are magnificent looking creatures. I have had them in my 110, 150 and 240, with plenty of pods, where very fat when I bought them and waited a couples of week for them to settle in at the LSF. They where kept in tanks that where also loaded with pods purposely.

Even with them in 3 separate systems at home. I have never been able to keep them alive over 8 months. This is a sad event I have decided to leave be. I feel defeated and I admire those who truly are able to keep them.

All tanks where "very" established, with hundreds of pounds of premium live Rock, even making areas for the pods to prolipherate in tank and fuge.

Good luck. I wish you great success. :)

Last edited:
Oh that is sad, they are such beautiful fish. I wish I could figure out how to have them around me. I haven't tried. But I have an orange linckia starfish that is not thriving. I have tried everything. I am so sad. I don't know what to do??

Unless you can look in your tank after the lights are out and see thousands of pods running around, I wouldn't recommend it. I just got really lucky with mine, but i did do a pod culture and have a fuge. Still, I have not met any one that is knowledgable on our hobby that believes i have one that is doing well in my 36 gal. I have a feeling that Herefishyfishy thinks that i go out and buy a new one every time he comes over.

I had a smaller tank that didn't have other competitors for the pods & the tank was super loaded with them but this is a rare occasion, pods have to be the right size for them to do well. The sad thing is these fish are beautiful & cheap which makes them very attractive, sad sad I say. If you can keep this fish over a year I'd say your successful & the exception to most.

steven11 do you? I mean go buy a new one when herefishyfishy comes over?
LOL I am pretty sure you don't!!!!!!! Congrats on keeping a beautiful fish alive.:)

Deb, Steven has the most ionically balanced, dialed in, happy little coral tanks that I have ever seen - bar none! Everything in it is thriving. I have given him corals that I gave up on, and they explode into life in his reef.

I had a smaller tank that didn't have other competitors for the pods & the tank was super loaded with them but this is a rare occasion, pods have to be the right size for them to do well. The sad thing is these fish are beautiful & cheap which makes them very attractive, sad sad I say. If you can keep this fish over a year I'd say your successful & the exception to most.

Hey Scooterman - I got him in a coral trade and he was very skinny and missing most of his tail fin. I have had him for about five or six months and he is nice and chunky now. I dont dought that i am lucky to keep him this long in my little tank. but it is possible and i would say to any one that really wants to keep one, do your home work and talk to some one out side of the fish store that has succesfully kept one. What i do with my tank may not work for you and vice versa.

Mike - Thanks for the nice words. Its always nice to get a good compliment from a reefer that is so knowlegable and has been around the hobby as long as you have.(No, that wasnt a hit for gettin old);)

Back