Mangroves

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Shalori

Hi,
So I haven't been back in the hobby for all that long, really, I know that when I last kept tanks, many folks were using mangroves. I was wondering if anyone is still using them?? And if not, why?

Mangroves are not overly efficient in terms of nutrient export. They are sort of cool as greenery. If you want them then go for it just dont expect them to do much if anything for nutrients.

Don

Mangroves are not overly efficient in terms of nutrient export. They are sort of cool as greenery. If you want them then go for it just dont expect them to do much if anything for nutrients.

Don

I agree with Don. They aren't the greatest option if you are looking for something for nutrient export. The amount you would need to do the job wouldn't be worth the effort. Something like chaeto is a much better option IMO. :)

Well yeah, I was thinking as an additional nutrient export. The chaeto looks like a snarly mess to me, kinda like the java moss in the fresh tank. I would imagine it would be easy for shtuff to get stuck in? Plus I don't have tons of room in the sump, so I was thinking the mangrove may take less space (though I know that they can get bigger, from what I remember, I don't think they were fast growing...

Well yeah, I was thinking as an additional nutrient export. The chaeto looks like a snarly mess to me, kinda like the java moss in the fresh tank. I would imagine it would be easy for shtuff to get stuck in? Plus I don't have tons of room in the sump, so I was thinking the mangrove may take less space (though I know that they can get bigger, from what I remember, I don't think they were fast growing...

Chaeto isn't supposed to be much in your sump that it completely fills it to work. Technically all you need is a small ball of it and as it grows (from the nutrient uptake) you trim it back. :)

It really doesnt matter what it is mangroves or chaeto. Their both plants and provide nutrient uptake through growth. If you dont have enough of either its a waste of time and electricity. If you only have a small area in a sump to keep chaeto then the benefit will be small. Use that space for something more useful. Bigger skimmer, carbon or even gfo are going to do more than a little 6" ball of chaeto.

Don

I've actually been wanting to get a couple to put in between the 2 sides of my dual octogon tank just because I think it would look cool. I have a tank that overflows from the taller side into the shallow side, and I think the water trickling between the mangroves would be a good touch.

What was your bad experience?

this is i used to have Red mangroves ,,it suckk up so much Mg out of my water,,called out of balance...took me 6 months to realized not the thing to play around with,,,one or two for looks should be ok..
mangrove.jpg

Ahh, interesting, I hadn't heard anyone say anything about the mangroves' overuse of other elements. Thank you for sharing your experience tamarindthai. How many did you have? On what size system?

I've actually been wanting to get a couple to put in between the 2 sides of my dual octogon tank just because I think it would look cool. I have a tank that overflows from the taller side into the shallow side, and I think the water trickling between the mangroves would be a good touch.

That does sound nice... :)

Ahh, interesting, I hadn't heard anyone say anything about the mangroves' overuse of other elements. Thank you for sharing your experience tamarindthai. How many did you have? On what size system?

i got a bout 12-15 big one on my 320gals total system,1-3 rd months noproblem 4 th month algea start to bloom,,water parameter start to swing l Alk Ca Mg,,5th-6th months out of balance manually doseing,, more blooming algea,,that 's it all mangroves removed cleaned and back to the basic,,glad i found that out,,wish i knew a lot sooner,,that is my bad experienced about mangrove,,,and BTW if it 's break don't fixed it.

Last edited:
I tried mangroves about 4 years ago. Compared to cheato they were expensive and out grew my sump (under tank in stand) in height in a short time. Wasted dollars.

Back