Manifold Question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MINIATUS

I was reading an article by Anthony Calfo and it was based on a manifold that runs around the top of the tank. Can someone explain this a little better.
I have a 90 gal tank with coast to coast overflow so how would i need to build it and how many outlets. the pumps to drive them would be 2-Mag9s or as I was hoping to either go with a mag18 or 24. Does this make sense.

MINIATUS :confused:

Il see if i can find it again, all I remember it was from Advance Aquarist

Ahh ok I see now. Just looks like a simple manifold. Not to bad but very limited IMHO. More of a plan for a glass tank that is up and running. MIn what do you got and what are you looking for in the way of additional flow??

Mike

As you know Mike I have finished up the new lights, so the plan is to setup my new tank that has the coast to coast overflow. Right now Im using 2-Mag9s on SQWDS. With the plan of adding SPSs to the new tank I was loking for a different idea as I dont think the Sqwds are that great but maybe Im wrong. I do have 2 MJ1200s laying around somewhere but the idea of pumps in the main tank is not what I wanted to do. New tank is a 90 gal.
Any ideas on doing this without spending a lot of money on more pumps.

MINIATUS :D

mojoreef said:
Ahh ok I see now. Just looks like a simple manifold. Not to bad but very limited IMHO. More of a plan for a glass tank that is up and running. MIn what do you got and what are you looking for in the way of additional flow??

Mike

Mine's not actually up and running yet, but it is a 50G glass, and I'm hopeing to avoid drilling. I was thinking about going this route for my SPS/clam tank, but what would you reccomend instead Mike?

I've considered the 4-way OM, although I can't for the life of me decide what the best way to handle the outlets would be.

Any suggestions? (Sorry to steal your thread MIN)

-Dylan

Stealin my thread Humph. no serously no problem. what is this 4 way Om.

MINIATUS ;)

Dylan for a glas tank its a pretty good idea, the only problem I see is that all the flow is up top and not much on the bottom, Maybe if you dropped a couple of the back outlest down to the bottom you could achieve a more even flow and cover the bottom from collecting detritus.
Min the Ocean Motion is a neat device made by a fellow up in your neck of the woods (TO) its basically a cam that the water pumps into with one input and then has several outputs. As the cam turns it blow water out of each hole, makes for some nice random flow (a little to quick for me) but for someone that want quick and dirty its definately the route.

Min I would have to say if you like the manifold go with it, just drop the outputs that are in the back to the bottom so you can sweep that area to. That is unless you have a sand substraight, if you do then only go half way down.

MIke

That makes sense, although I had planned to have my sump return come out near the bottom in the back with a T pointing towards the rear corners (or thereabouts). I haven't decided on a CL pump yet, but the return is a Mag-7 @4' head or so, which I figured would probably be enough low flow. Maybe drop the two rear to about 1/2 height and then have the front/side outputs be at the top?

While we're on the subject, since I keep forgetting to ask Anthony, anybody have any suggestions for mounting a manifold full of water at the top of a tank and not having it fall? I'm looking at my AGA tank and not seeing any good way to do it.

-Dylan

Oh, one other thing I was thinking with the OM, although I don't believe I'm going that route.

There's no reason you can't use a repeat timer/relay on the OM as well. Since the speed of rotation and the degrees required for an output switch is a known quantity, if you want to slow it down, just power the device for the period of time needed for the cam to move to the next output, then power it off. This would allow you to set the speed of rotation. (E.G. power for 15 seconds on a 4-way to switch, then power off for 5 minutes, repeat)

I don't know offhand of an AC device that'll do this, but I'm sure they're out there and probably not too expensive.

-Dylan

Dylan I think most manifold like that stay inplace because they are hard plumbed up to it. On the timer and the OM I think he has come up with a device that can slow the rotation down. But I see no reason why your method couldnt work

Mike

What if you where to drop another pipe down the back of the tank in the center that incorprated a spray bar along the bottom of the tank? would that help with the flow along the bottom? I have a 90 gal up and running for a year and this looks like a good idea to get rid of the power heads in my tank, which are a pain!! Lemme know what you think.
Erik

Spray bars require a LOT of flow in order to be effective. It's much more efficient to have a few well placed outlets to guide the detritus to a convienient place to siphon it out.

Definitely get some flow down bottom. That's what I am battling right now with my manifold. I have 4 outlets that were all at the top. The outcome is all of the detritus is blown under the rocks to the back of the tank. Not good for cleaning out. I have moved 2 outlets to the bottom corners and it's helped a lot, but if you can do it from the beginning and know where the detrirus will build that will make the tank that much more efficient in the end.

Loc-line is the best thing for allowing changes to the flow over time. It will allow you to ccommodate changes to the flow patterns as the corals grow in or when you inevitably decide to rescape the tank (It'll happen....you know it;)).

Good luck.

so take a look at this pic and tell me what you think. The pic on the left is a look at the top and you can see the pipe around the top of the tank with four loc line outlets in the corners. The pic on the left is a look at the front with two pipes coming down from the top in either croner and in the center ending in loc line outputs. What kind of pump would you need to run something like this? I am thinking after doing a head loss calc that to match my cpr 90 overflow that I should go with a Mag 9.5 return. What do y'all think?
Erik

Last edited:
forsaken541,
What size tank are you setting up and are you keeping SPS?

If yes to the SPS I would plan on a closed loop, as I don't think you would meet the flow needs with just a return pump. I've got an AM3K on my 75 gallon tank with 4 outlets from the manifold (1 to a seaswirl, 1 to a SCWD, and 2 to Loc-Line). This produces pretty good flow, although I would like better at this point. I think it will be even more important when the corals start to fill in.

Reedman
I have a question for you my tank will be a 90 gal and the plan is for adding SPSs and clams also. I have 2 mag 9s .how would this setup be best done. I might be able to up the pumps to a single Mag24. any thought on this.

Hey MIN,

2 mag 9s might work out fine. Are these both for closed loop or one for CL and one for return pump? If you are using one for the CL and one for the return then I would plumb the CL one to the lower outlets and the upper outlets with the return. This will prevent draining the tank when the power fails. Minimize the 90 degree turns and you should get close to 1800 gph into the tank with those two. If you go through a SCWD your flow will drop a bit.

Personally, if I had it to do all over again, I would fill the tank up with water and dry plumb (no glue) the CL together, add a little sand to simulate detritus, and try the system out. It's really tough to predict water flow in an open area with random shapes like LR and corals. I prefer to have the detritus settle into one of the front corners if possible. This makes for easy access to vaccuum out and not very noticable as to detract from viewing pleasure.

Back