Manifold Question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

this new tank has a coast to coast over flow so both pumps will be returns.
I want to rid of the SQWDs if possible. This is where the bigger pump might have to come into play. I find the SWQDS seem to slow the flow qiute a bit.
Find enclosed a pic of the back of the tank which will give you an idea of what Im doing.And tank will be bare bottom

MIN

Last edited:
My tank is already up and is a 90 gal with all lps softies and fish. I am not planning on any clams or sps at all. The tank for now is all glass and is not drilled so I have to use a HOB overflow to my sump so I do need to match the flow limit of the overflow. right now I have a single 1" outlet coming back from a Mag 7 right now. I just thought this other plan would be good to get rid of PH's and have better flow. I hope this is clearere and thatnks for your help.
Erik

Erik,

I think you could go with the Mag 9 and be OK with the inhabitants you have. You may want to consider putting a ball valve on the line that goes down to the bottom outlets so you could increase or decrease flow (blow stuff to the front for maintainence). Also, I don't know the purpose of having the complete "loop" of PVC plumbed around the front of the tank. You could just end the plumbing at the 2 outer outlets (i.e. no PVC across the front of the tank). If after this you still don't have the flow you want you could always setup a simple closed loop with the Mag 7. I think your setup will be fine with the 9.5 though. I assume you'll use the 1/2" loc-line for the outlets. This should work well.

MIN,
Are you going to drill the back of the tank for the returns? This provides the cleanest setup, but also requires the best planning (once you've drilled that's it). I would look at what Mike did in his rescape project. He tried the spray bar and didn't like it and ended up putting in nozzles down low to get the detritus right where he wanted it. The bottom flow is the tough part to plan. You can adjust the upper flow pretty easily once the tank is running, but the lower flow is difficult to change without a teardown.

I would fill the tank and maybe use a powerhead to see what the flow patterns are when you simulate an outlet at different locations. If you have several PHs you could simulate your flow plan and add some sand to see where the "detritus" goes. This is what I would do with a new tank to ensure I get what I think I am planning. This will also serve as a wet test for the tank if you haven't done that yet. Finally, be sure to account for that LR you will be adding. Plan out the placement with flow in mind and try to keep it open to allow increased flow through the rockwork.

I'm learning the old fashioned way...trail and error and error and error. I have stated what didn't work for me since I haven't found a perfect solution yet.

The new tank is not up yet just the old one.I should have had it drilled for returns but with the coast to coast would have been expensive. This manifold sounds like it might not be right for my application. :( Gets more complicated as you go along.Only other thing might be to keep the Mags and put a power head behind the rock work to keep the detrius from settling there. Or install a new pump. Any ideas would be helpfull.One more thing would you keep the SQWDS or not. A diagram might help :confused:

MINIATUS

I'll try to diagram something tonight after work. It's not that complicated...just sounds like it ;)

I understand the concept of it now. One question do you reccommend the flat nozzle on the end or just a plain one. How much flow is going thru it. Ae you using anything like a SQWD on your set up

Thanks MINIATUS :D

Well, those pics are a little out of date now. Yes I use both a SCWD on one outlet and a seaswirl on another. I use both the fan outlets and the plain one. I like the fans for surface aggitation. Works great for that. I also like them for areas where I want a more spread out flow (ie if corals are too close to the outlet this will spread the flow limiting the velocity). I have found if you are bouncing the flow off the glass then the plain outlet works better because you lose less velocity that way.

I'm currently running a Dolphin ampmaster 3000 through 1.5" manifold all the way to the loc-line. Just before the loc-line there is a 1.5" to 0.75" reducer. This works out well for me as there is no back pressure on the pump. The cross sectional area of the 1.5" outlet is equivelent to the crossectional area of the 4 0.75" outlets. I use Ys on the loc-line to best spread the flow and direct it where I need it. This also provides me the flexibility to change the flow anytime I need/want to. If I did it again I would direct more flow to the back bottom to push the detritus to the front. Hindsight is always 20:20 though.

Back