Mantis or Pistol

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I truly don't know how to describe a sound via the Internet. I'll try my best. A quite loud "Snap" or "Pop" sound that typically only occurs at night and is usually only one or two "pops" in a row, would usually be a pistol shrimp. If you hear a "Crackle" sound as well, tell your kid to stop dumping their cereal in the sump. :)

A less loud "click" that may be at night or may be during the day as well that occassionally is a lot of "clicks" in a row would be more indicative of a mantis.

Well i don't usually hear a snap, crackle and pop all at the same time but i'll check for the rice crispies! Thanks for the advice! :lol:
It's mostly one or two clicks at a time, so maybe a pistol?
I'm more intrigued to see it now than anything, i tried putting a bottle in the tank again and managed to catch my cleaner shrimp! :D
I'm determined to find him, I'll post a pic when i do.
Thanks again for the help guys

I'll post a pic when i do.

Hey Luke if you do find it is a Pistol shrimp I don't think It will hurt your Chromis or linkia If you do find it to be a Pistol do some reserch on what Kind and get a shrimp gobie thet normally will live with it thay are pretty neat to watch and normally they tend to stay to their selves
Here is a shot of a little one Luke with a couple of gobies...Jeff

lj_smith said:
Well i don't usually hear a snap, crackle and pop all at the same time but i'll check for the rice crispies! Thanks for the advice! :lol:
It's mostly one or two clicks at a time, so maybe a pistol?
I'm more intrigued to see it now than anything, i tried putting a bottle in the tank again and managed to catch my cleaner shrimp! :D
I'm determined to find him, I'll post a pic when i do.
Thanks again for the help guys

Phew! theres a load off my mind...... wouldn't want a crispie infestation!:)

Hey Jeff, so those shrimp gobies also live with cleaner shrimps then as i have one and a fire shrimp aswell:?:

Yes no problem

I have fire shrimp as well. The cleaners= skunks and fire scare the pistols. Usally they dive for cover when the cleaner shrimp comes by

lj_smith said:
Phew! theres a load off my mind...... wouldn't want a crispie infestation!:)

Hey Jeff, so those shrimp gobies also live with cleaner shrimps then as i have one and a fire shrimp aswell:?:

Wonder if thats why i can't find it then.
I used to have a goby, a watchman goby, very good for the substrate, messy little bugger though, always scooping substrate and dropping it over my corals:rolleyes:

to be honest, if you are hearing the clicking at night most of the time, its probably not a mantis shrimp. Mantis's are dinural, aka, they are like us and sleep at night and are awake during the day. Pistol shrimps can be nocturnal. My mantis (J.R. ; short for jack the ripper) never goes to work on the rocks in his tank at night, and the only time I hear him working away is in the day. Most likely i would say that you have a pistol shrimp, but just keep a sharp eye out.... if things start dropping like flies, well, then you have a mantis shrimp..... but hopefully that doesnt happen. ;) Keep us updated!

Ditto on what sandlot13 said. When I had a pistol shrimp, I heard it clicking when the tank lights are off and the room is dark. The mantis that I have now, I hear primarily during the day.

As far as IDing by sound, when you said you heard "Coin against the glass," that's what I remember my pistol shrimp sounding like. I use to think it was my snail falling down at hitting the tank bottom. I can't really describe the mantis click, but I wouldn't describe it as "Coin against the glass."

What others have said about the clicking pattern is also what I have experienced. One or two clicks probably pistol. I have heard and have watched my mantis repeatedly hammering into the rock, snail shell, or even the tank sides.

I'm assuming that pistols don't wonder very far from their territory as i check every night for the little blighter, as for losing fish, i haven't lost any since the chromis, i still have two left so that was probably just coincidence:)

Back