Mantis Shrimp

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

krisfal

So ladies, do you despair of ever getting your husband or significant other to share your passion for your reef? Well I have the cure! Get a mantis shrimp!?!

The other night while watching my tank I suddenly notice some eyes sticking up out of a hole in the rock. Closer inspection quickly confirmed my initial thought, there is a mantis shrimp in my tank. So I set up a trap and left it overnight, no luck. In the morning I told the hubby and son about the shrimp and told them it has to go! No way do I want it to make the transfer to the new tank. So I made a spear out of a big needle and a bamboo skewer attached to a handle from an old algae scraper (for added length) and gave it to them. At first reluctant to try to stab the shrimp (they thought it was cool) they soon became enthralled with the challenge! They spent hours trying to skewer the shrimp to no avail. They can get it to consistently come out and stab at a second skewer they used but they could not even come close to stabbing it. The only thing that has changed is the shrimp is now sure to cover his whole when he is inside. I put fresh bait in the trap overnight again, still no luck.

Although it is nice to have some genuine interest at home in my hobby does anybody have any other suggestions? The rock he is in has at least 5 corals frags on it so I am reluctant to remove them so I can isolate the rock for drastic treatment, but will do as a latch ditch effort. So I have about 4 days to try to catch this guy.

Warning: Ladies if you should choose this tactic to improve the interest of your co-habitants, please be alert to the fact there may be easier prey in your tank. At one point I overheard the statement "that hippo tang sure would be easy to spear" (my normally "hide and play dead" at the slightest disturbance tang decided that a bamboo skewer was a threat worth challenging and was attacking the stick) I had to come in and firmly state some ground rules!

dont kill it! Somebody will want it if you catch it! But you can get it to come out of its hole by having a feeding stick with some krill or silversides and dangling it outside of its den. It will usually come out after that....but when it does catch it and place it in your sump or something until you can find a good home for him.....
I never thought I would be one to own a mantis but I absolutely love mine...I actually went out and bought a peacock mantis and I spend more time watching him then I do my 135g reef tank

You could probably get a trap set on the doorstep of his hole and he would have to come out eventually if it is stuck good enough and it will eventually have to come out and get stuck in it..
Just a thought. u have a extra skimmer?

mss, the trick is in the catching it. It is quick, we can get it to come out but it is just a flash! Live capture would be optimal, I am sure they are cool critters, he has been fun so far, but he is not staying in my reef!

eliterecon, what kind of trap are you thinking? I am trying a DYI soda bottle trap set up right next to the hole.

I don't like them either, for my reasons one attacked my cousin. Demonic creatures like bristleworms are more of a threat to him

Everyone thinks that mantis are nocturnal. They aren't...they are diurnal.

put some coctail shrimp or frozen krill in the trap.....i.e. something meaty that will put out a good smell. You can also put a small hermit crab in the soda bottle that will move around and attract him.

i agree dood, don't kill the poor thing....just boil it and drip a little bit of butter, salt and pepper when he's in your plate :p .....j/k :D

Put the rock he was in into a bucket of water then started poking down in his hole with a bamboo stick. After a few pokes he abandoned the rock and we pulled the rock out.

I worried about how I was going to catch him all week. Turned out it wasn't too difficult.

Two tanks moved into one today. Acclimating the last of the fish right now, whew what a long day!!

Back