Marine Aquarium Expo 2011

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Some one needs to get the info past out to the local clubs in the outlying areas.

I'm part of the PNWMAS down in the Portland/Vancouver area,(but it reaches thru out the entire valley), I'm sure we would have members interested.

I'll forward this link to our website.

puyallap,,is very closed to :
airport
comuter train
alot of parking space
and alot more convience for just about everythings,,,ohhhh
my vote to,,..:D

Well, it looks like you people are certainly on the right track in regards to tenacity and spirit! We are exhibiting at MACNA in Orloando this weekend to promote our April show, so it probably wouldn't hurt to bring up the idea of Seattle to our core customers and see if they are interested in such an endevour. Getting the local retail fish stores on board is a key step towards encouraging the larger manufacturers to participate.

right on. its nice to see this may go some where and happen =)

Well, it looks like you people are certainly on the right track in regards to tenacity and spirit! We are exhibiting at MACNA in Orloando this weekend to promote our April show, so it probably wouldn't hurt to bring up the idea of Seattle to our core customers and see if they are interested in such an endevour. Getting the local retail fish stores on board is a key step towards encouraging the larger manufacturers to participate.

Definately nice that you are willing to spread some word and try to help us make it work.

Anybody friends with any of the Washington area LFSs? Would be nice if they were involved in this discussion, or if they could privately contact MAX.

Any idea when they might say something?
Or someone hear might hear something?
I assume sometime after MACNA, right?

Hi guys,
At MACNA typing on my cell phone.
Getting mixed results from numerous manufacturers.
Some say Seattle market simply too small for a MAX-size show...others are all for it.
Seems a 50/50 split thus far, which is better than I predicted.
Will report more when we return.
KA /

Last edited:
Well hopefully they will see that there are markets outside of Seattle that they will draw from, like Oregon, Idaho, and such.

Hi guys,
At MACNA typing on my cell phone.
Getting mixed results from numerous manufacturers.
Some say Seattle market simply too small for a MAX-size show...others are all for it.
Seems a 50/50 split thus far, which is better than I predicted.
Will report more when we return.
KA /

I think if Iowa works for MACNA next year then Seattle is a no brainer!

you would think the surrounding states would all come together. i hope we get them to come out this way!!!

The Seattle area has alot going for it in terms of climate, heritage, character etc....its simply a very pleasant city to visit. (many noted that they would LOVE to visit Seattle on a personal basis but just weren't sold from a business perspective)

Five of the ten larger clients we polled at MACNA liked the idea of a MAX event in the Seattle area. They loved the area and wanted to gain exposure in your corner of the country.

The five who were skeptical noted that the area was lacking in population (which is a GOOD thing in all other respects, believe me) with few surrounding areas to draw from. Vancouver and Portland are the only notable areas with a significant hobbyist population. Montana, Idaho, and the rest of Oregon didn't seem very encouraging.

We have a number of possibilities to look at, but it would help tremendously if we had more detailed information as to how much support could be expected from the local clubs and retailers in the area. Manufacturers and distributors are most interested in how many stores they can reach out to, so LFS participation is very key here.

Take even a closer look at the Population of WA and I would bet that at least 50% + lives in a 3 county area of King, Pierce, and Snohomish. That puts around 3,000,000 with in a 60 mile drive or so of Seattle

A handful of the LFS's are sponsors of this forum and I'm sure if you put the word out members would pass along your information to LFSs who are not.

The five who were skeptical noted that the area was lacking in population (which is a GOOD thing in all other respects, believe me) with few surrounding areas to draw from. Vancouver and Portland are the only notable areas with a significant hobbyist population. Montana, Idaho, and the rest of Oregon didn't seem very encouraging.

QUOTE]

What about Spokane, Yakima, Moses lake, and everything in between? Can't leave us out! Hopefully some LFSs will speak up if they want involvement in the situation.

Well I know, we down here in the Portland/Vancouver area, are talking about it. And we are getting good response about it.

We also have 10+ LFS/vendors thru-out the Willamette Valley in Oregon that might be interested in participation if the were to get more info. I know Seattle has just about as many too. Plus there are some national vendors that call the PNW home.

But don't forget there are clubs in the Kenniwick, WA., Spokane, WA., Boise, ID., and Montana. Plus we have reefers in Oregon all the way down to the California border and in central Oregon! Sounds like that is a large area to draw from. All with a 6-8 hour drive + I'm sure some CA people would make the trip also.

BTW, I didn't mean to imply that these other areas were not important (quite the contrary) just that the density of hobbyists per geographical area is significantly less than the usual LA, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Fl., New England, etc.

To tell you the truth, you've already got me sold (there, I've said it!)
However the people you've really got to convince are the army of exhibitors who spend literally thousands of dollars to travel to such a show. In doing so, what they really want to see are hundreds of warm bodies streaming up and down those aisles. I would have to somehow promise them over a thousand attendees before they'd even consider it.
In my mind, this is doable.

The angle I am trying to sell is that hobbyists in the NorthWest are far more "hungry" for a MAX or MACNA type event, hence where only 10% of the LA/Orange County hobbyist pool might show up to a typical MAX (alot of spoiled folk down here) we could probably expect participation in the 20-25% range from hobbyists here in the Pacific Northwest (Washington, Oregon, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, and British Columbia) Am I very far off base here? I think the more clubs we get involved the better.

Not implying any promises at this point, but.....

....in the spirit of fun, let the NAME GAME begin!

- SeaMax?

- PacMax?

- WaMax?

- GrungeMax?

:lol:

Back