Marine waste harmful to septic systems?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cgrutt

Forgive the stupid question, but how do you dispose of marine waste (i.e., water changes)? Will it harm a septic system with leech field if I just flush down the toilet? Don't recall ever reading anything about this before.

Thanks.

CJG

I drain mine straight into my yard - not sure if its good or bad, never really asked - but the grass is still green!

That's actually a darn good question. I've always dumped mine into the yard. I'm affraid to put it down the drain for fear that it will accelerate corrosion. Don't know if it will, but why take the chance.
Oh yeah, my grass shows no issues from it.

Thanks for the response. I know at the end of the day the same biological functions are taking place but was just wondering if the bacteria are compatible. Hadn't thought about corrosion, but that is another good point. Yeah, probably will figure some way of piping out to the yard/woods behind my house. Why take the chance?

Thanks again.

CJG

Yeah I just dump my waste salt water into my yard. I can't say that my grass is still green in that area like the above mentioned people.

I've been dumping 5 gallons of salt water per week into our 3 bedroom septic system, and we haven't had any issues. I wouldn't hesitate to dump up to 50 gallons per week...

Most water softeners use salt to regenerate, and end up dumping salt water also. I don't think water softener waste is routed out of the septic drain.

I think the main impact of dumping salt water into the septic would be to lessen or eliminate root intrusion into the drain field (which is probably a benefit, they sell chemical additives for this).

I just bought a house and was here for the septic pumping. I asked that specific question to the pumping guy. He had never been asked that before but said that as long as you have bacteria in the septic system and you do not do anything to kill that(tons of bleach... etc) then it should be fine. Small amounts from water changes shouldn't be a problem.

I have been doing water changes in my present house for 14 years and it goes into a septic tank. And they have been fairly large water changes at times.
But I do have to say that the salt water is diluted with fresh water because I use a python water change hose.

We are on septic and we dump our water in the yard, only because it's closer than any sink or toilet. We have heard that your skimmate is fabulous for plants. Has anybody ever tried that?In a flower pot is the salt going to damage the plants?

Last edited:
I dump my water on my cobblestone patio, it provides 2 benefits, no weeds/moss growing between the stones and no ice on the patio!

We are on septic and we dump our water in the yard, only because it's closer than any sink or toilet. We have heard that your skimmate is fabulous for plants. Has anybody ever tried that?In a flower pot is the salt going to damage the plants?

I would think the salt would kill just about any plant

Thanks for asking this, i've been wondering for a while. This is one of the reasons I switched from my fish only bleach tank to a reef tank.

I am just worried about the salt solidifying in the pressure mound and clogging the distribution tubes. Any thoughts there?

You would think that the bacteria you add into the septic system would actually be beneficial. Heck you have to buy that bacterial concentrate to help break down your septic every few years ...

I think my only worry is did any of my snails get caught up in my siphon and now swimming in poo... poor poor snails.. what a horrid way to go.

Yes, I considered that. Just wasn't sure if (1) the bacteria in a marine system are the same and/or compatible with the bacteria in a septic system and (2) if other marine waste e.g., salt, chemicals for disease treatments, etc. would be harmful to the system.

Seems by the responses so far that nobody really knows for sure but there have been no obvious problems either. I think I'll play it safe and find a spot outside of the septic. House is fairly new and I don't want to take a chance on creating a problem.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

CJG

Back