Maroon clown mating question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

seismic

Balaenoptera musculus
Hi,

I've had this healthy Maroon clown, which is about 6" long. I also have a BTA which is hosting it. I was wondering if I could add a 2nd maroon as a mate to this one. Is this recommended ? If yes, what size should I go for ? :rolleyes:

If the size of the aquarium is appropriate and the Anemonefish you have isn't too old, you can give it a try.

You would like an adult Anemonefish, but at least 2 inches shorter than the one you have.

My display tank is 560l. I've kept my clown for about a year now. It was about 4" when I got it. Thanks for the suggestion, will try this!

IMO, it is better to add a much smaller clownfish when dealing with the two variants of Premnas biaculeatus.

If the first fish is about 6", then adding something around 3-4" can already possibly be a female as well.

I would suggest anything from 1-2". It will all be a matter of a fish per fish basis. Some X-Large Maroon clowns like yours will be really docile with the new fish, and actually look rather funny (a 6" clownfish with a much smaller 2" clown). Other times, the female will be aggressive and can kill the smaller fish within hours, if the small one is not taken out instantly.

I would look for a CB/TR specimen, if possible, that is about 2" in length.

Best,
Ilham

Sorry, but what's CB/TR. By the way, I also have a tomato clown and a ocellaris clown both about 3". All 3 clowns are living together with no problems. In fact the Maroon tolerates the presence of the Ocellaris near its BTA, but not the Tomato. So the Tomato now has taken a liking to my hammer corals. I hope the new maroon will not trash this other 2 fellas.

Back