Maroon Clown

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SaltwaterNoobs

Hello everyone! Had a question for anyone who can help this N00b out... We have a maroon clownfish and a bengai cardinal currently in our tank. I have read in some places that maroon clowns should be paired, yet I've also read if one has been by itself and you attempt to introduce another maroon into the tank, due to their aggressive nature it could be a recipe for disaster. My maroon doesn't seem to be depressed or lonely right now. He's active and always greets me when I walk up to the tank (it's rather adorable, and disgusts my husband when I start cooing at the maroon). I'm just not sure if I need to find him a mate, or if he will be fine without one. We were contemplating an anemone in the future (even though I know it's not necessary for a maroon), but I know maroons can be destructive with those, as well.

I suppose my overall question is: is my maroon clown fine, or should I be doing what I can to eventually find him a mate/anemone?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks very much!

you dont "need" a mate. every fish acts different so yours later in time may take a mate if introduced later.

If you really love your clown you'll get him a bubble tip anenome. You will then know what maroon clownfish extasy looks like :)

I had a pair of maroon clowns, but then the female died. After about 6 months or so I decided to try and get another and try to pair again. I bought a much smaller male since the current male I had had grown quite a bit since the female died.

Well, as soon as I put the new male into the tank, the existing maroon was so aggressive towards the new one that it literally bit off most all of its top & bottom fins! I was sure the new clown wasn't going to make it, but after about a week (and fins) the 2 clowns decided on a truce or something :). Now, they are a pair & share a home in their anemone...

If you do attempt to pair it, with a mate, you'll need to get one drastically different in size. If you have a large one, get a tiny one, and vice-versa. Otherwise, yes, it'll be a "recipe for disaster." Maroon's are one of the toughest clowns to pair up, if one has been alone for awhile. Often, several potential "mates" will be killed, before the existing Maroon accepts one.

If you do attempt to pair it, with a mate, you'll need to get one drastically different in size. If you have a large one, get a tiny one, and vice-versa. Otherwise, yes, it'll be a "recipe for disaster." Maroon's are one of the toughest clowns to pair up, if one has been alone for awhile. Often, several potential "mates" will be killed, before the existing Maroon accepts one.

Will the maroon clown be alright if I don't try to pair him? Or will he die of depression down the road?

The Maroon will be just fine, by itself, without a mate and without an anemone. In fact, it's less likely to get as aggressive, without a mate or anemone. Once they're mated up, the female feels the need to defend the male, or anemone. I've had them draw blood, on my hands...lol. Heck, I have a female Black/White Occellaris that's drawn blood.

The Maroon will be just fine, by itself, without a mate and without an anemone. In fact, it's less likely to get as aggressive, without a mate or anemone. Once they're mated up, the female feels the need to defend the male, or anemone. I've had them draw blood, on my hands...lol. Heck, I have a female Black/White Occellaris that's drawn blood.

o_O Oh wow! Well Roger (my maroon) seems perfectly content in his environment sans anemone and fellow maroon. I just wanted to make sure he'll be alright solo. Thanks for the help, and good luck with those blood-thirsty fishies! :)

Doesn't a maroon clown turn into a female if kept all by itself? Just asking because the OP's maroon clown is being referred to as a he but wouldn't the OP's maroon be a she?

Doesn't a maroon clown turn into a female if kept all by itself? Just asking because the OP's maroon clown is being referred to as a he but wouldn't the OP's maroon be a she?

We really don't care what gender our fish are. We name them according to their personality. I'm pretty sure the fish doesn't care either :)

It is possible for a clownfish to morph into a female, after several years alone. Though, with a Maroon, it'd soon become obvious, since the size would increase drastically.

Yep, I did the same exact thing with my maroon clown. Its seems that if the smaller, newer maroon clown (that gets introduced to the tank with a larger female) can surivive the that first week, the two learn to get along and become mated.

There were many times throughout the process that I thought that the new clown would perish, but it worked out great.

Also, RBTA are a natural fit for maroons. Their overall mood and behavior changes for the better.

Back