Married a long time

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Paul B

This week is my 35th wedding anniversary. That seems odd today and I get wierd looks from a lot of people since it is so rare today to be married for so long. I know a guy who was married three times, twice to the same girl. I mean, what the hell are you thinking? If you diden't get along the first time, why would you do it again.
Obviousely he isn't very good at this.
And if you notice when someone was married three or four times it is always the partner that is no good, never the person telling the story.
Some people are just no good at this.
I am though running out of things to get for my wife on these occasions and birthdays.
I took her out last night to what I feel is the best restaurant on Long Island, it is on the beach and has the best food and view in NY.
Next week I am taking her to Connecticut on a boatride to see the foliage and stay over at a B&B. I retired so I can't take her to the Caribbean every year anymore.
I am lucky to have married my best friend and we still hang out all the time together. Unfortunately she does not share my love of the hobby but she does enjoy diving with me and we have been diving since the seventees.
It is a shame that there are so many married people who fight all the time.
We fight of course but she goes to the gym almost every day so I let her win.
scan0007.jpg

Sicily047.jpg

And of course what she looked like when I married her. She doesen't do the Farrah Fawcett hair anymore.
scan0008.jpg

Thank you, she is still a Babe.
The reef has been up for 5 years longer than my anniversary or about 40 years. It started in this 30 gallon tank circa 1972
Oldtankandme.jpg

That is really cool. :D My parents have been together for 32yrs now, and so it is kind of a responsibility for all of us kids to not get a divorce. Sad how much the tables have turned. Funny that you have those diving pics, because my girlfreind (2 yrs) is very interested in my fish tanks and we have vague plans of learning to dive and make a fun career out of it.

Congrats again,

-augustus

because my girlfreind (2 yrs) is very interested in my fish tanks and we have vague plans of learning to dive and make a fun career out of it.

My wife likes diving but only in the tropics. She does not join me on my New York dives. She likes visability measured in feet instead of inches

HA, that is funny, because she is the same way. I love to through on a wet suit and snorkel through the puget sound. It is truly amazing reef-like the cold water is in its own way. she will of course only go on sunny days so that see can sit on the shore :p

-augustus

Congrats Paul! My husband and I just celebrated our 25th anniversary last month. You mention that you "were lucky to marry your best friend", that made me smile. Part of my husband and my vows was "today I marry my best friend".

Though long marriages are rarer these days I guess we have had many good examples around us. My grandparents were married for 67 years before they passed away, my parents have been married for 47 years, and Augustus' parents with 32 years under their belt have been friends of ours since before we were married.

Once again congratulations!!

Part of my husband and my vows was "today I marry my best friend".

Kris that is cool.
We just came back from taking the defensive drivers course to lower our insurance, we take it every three years and we just silently laughed and joked for the 6 hours.
Of course we watched the films too.
I would be lost with out her

Kris that is cool.
We just came back from taking the defensive drivers course to lower our insurance, we take it every three years and we just silently laughed and joked for the 6 hours.
Of course we watched the films too.
I would be lost with out her

that is awesome, unfortunatley i am already part of the divorce statistic. but now i have lisa, she is my best friend and we have known each other for over 15 years. till death do us part:)

Shannon, best of luck. it does take a little work but it is worth it. I think we all start out thinking it will last all of our life and then I think either one or both of us gets lazy and starts taking our spouse for granted. When that happens, it is the beginning of the end.

Now that I am retired I also want to do a few things that New Yorker's rarely do like visit the Statue of Liberty, I went there last in 2nd grade but I have seen it almost every day from shore and we do pass it almost every year by boat. Ellis Island where our Grandparents first landed America 100 years ago and being a Veteran I am embarassed I never visited the Aircraft Carrier Intrepid even though I worked right next to it for a while.
This stuff is cheap and right near home so we may as well take advantage of it like the tourists do.

Last edited:
wwouu dood, congrats to both of you :) , it takes some patience and nerves to stay together that long :shock::D

Back