Matting clowns??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mjslaugh

Okay so I added my first firsh a couple days ago, I bought two small(one significantly smaller than the other) maroon clown fish. I don't know much, but as I understand it they should be bonding and figuring out what sex each should be, I was told the size diff helps with that, but what I want to know is what should I be looking for if they are not going to be compatible?? Are there any sure signs that they will not co-exist??

Unfortunately, the process of deciding which will become the female can be an aggressive process. Especially with Maroons. This aggressiveness can also be a sign of incompatibility. Eventually, you should start to see the smaller one shake and shimmy as the larger one approaches it. This is a sign of submissiveness and is a good sign. If the aggressiveness gets too rough or the smaller one is getting beat up, they should be separated.

Okay thats good, they do seem to be getting along pretty well, the big one did nip at the little one a little bit at first, but now they seems to be getting along close to each other, I was just wondering because they do still spend alot of time apart and so I wasn't sure if that was bad or not.

I've only had one pair of maroon clowns and they were in a very large tank. The male did the hosting and the female roamed the tank freely. I'm not sure if thats the case with them all but thats what mine did.

I've only had one pair of maroon clowns and they were in a very large tank. The male did the hosting and the female roamed the tank freely. I'm not sure if thats the case with them all but thats what mine did.

Yea I am not real sure, it looks like they may be fighting a bit more than I thought, the little one has a couple marks on it, and the larger one has hosted in the anemone, it kinda feels like something isn't right with them, but I don't know

Give them time. As long as the male has a way to "escape" the female, he'll be fine. If she's already hosting, it could be awhile before she "allows" him in. How do they act in the evening after lights out? Does she allow him in the anemone to sleep? I know you've only had the anemone 1 night so it's probably way to early to tell.

If he's unable to "escape" and she's constantly chasing and nipping at him, they may need to be separated.

I will try to pick up that book. Okay so the little marking on the male(smaller clown) aren't markings but actually look like a dead fine, I am really stumped by this one. He was fine last night, in fact he was the first one interested in my new RBTA, but now the other clown is hosting it and he wont go near it, I don't know if the little guy is sick, or it was suggested to me that he might have been stung by the anemone, is this possible, or is it more than likely a disease??

he could have been stung. my mated maroons where without an anenome for a long time and when i got my display up and running again my female had welts all over her

Okay so now I am a little worried, I would like to confirm exactly what is going on with my clown so that I can put my mind at ease.

So today he is not any better in fact the dead fin now has like spider web looking stuff hanging on it, almost like the leather sloughing. I was wondering if anyone knows of a picture of an anomone sting so that I could make sure it is this and not a disease. I have been trying to snap a pic of it, but he just doesn't want to swim out of the rock except at feeding, but I will keep trying.

Back