Maxi-jet Mod chattering

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

sandswhitson

I just purchased two maxi-jets and did the sure flow mod on them. One of them chattters ALOT! It will run for a little while and then just starts chattering non-stop. The other one chatters as well but not as often. I am new to the maxi mods and am wondering if there is something I can do to make them stop chattering?

If you are using the high flow mods you must use a mj1200. The lessers dont work with the high flow well. I have never seen a mj mod that didn't end up being trashed. They generally last for about a 6-8mths and the cap's start to go bad and rub, then vibrations, etc....i've trashed 4 at this point.

They are the MJ1200. I have heard that they do destroy themselves but for as cheap as they are I thought that I would give them a try. I hope that I can get them to quit chattering. It sounds like they are going to explode when they do it.

I've seen them do alot of things and i've used the eco, triton and algae free mod kits but never had them just chatter like that. Only way i think they would chatter is if you ran them on a wavemaker.

I agree that all of my MJ1200s with the Sureflo mods were perfectly...and have several years of use on them. I've never had any of them chatter, unless I tried hooking them up to a wavemaker. Are they spinning the correct direction? If they spin backwards, I would think they'd chatter, or actually click against the prop stop that's in the shroud.

They are just plugged into standard outlets. They will run fine for a little while and then you can see the prop bouncing in and out against the front stop.

Thats strange for sure. I have had to cut the impeller blades down just a tad before and that made them work much quieter. Maybe email the manu and see what they say. As this isnt normal for them. They will destroy themselves pretty quick if they keep trying to run backwards.

I emailed algaefree and we will see what they say. Both of them are doing it occasionally but one of them does it about every 30 seconds. I think that the prop may have been defective and hopefully they will send me a new one.

My Mj mods start chattering when the bushings on the backside start to wear out. There is so much force from the large impellar pushing back into the motor it will wear out the plastic. Ive have them push right through the top of the powerhead and wear out multiple bushings.

The chatter is from it running backward or the magnet being seated improperly in the housing due to too much, or lack of bushings (small washers) behind the magnet.

They are both less than two weeks old so I don't think the bushings are worn out. I think there is something wrong with the prop. I put the smaller prop in the one that was chattering and it is running great. I am waiting to hear back from Algae Free to see if they will send me a new prop.

They are both less than two weeks old so I don't think the bushings are worn out. I think there is something wrong with the prop. I put the smaller prop in the one that was chattering and it is running great. I am waiting to hear back from Algae Free to see if they will send me a new prop.

Did your kits come with the washers that go between the magnet and the shaft seat? I was suggesting that they are missing, or placed improperly on the shaft assembly.

Yeah they have the little washers behind the magnet. I already recieved an email from Algae Free and they are going to send new props. Hopefully that solves it.

Yeah they have the little washers behind the magnet. I already recieved an email from Algae Free and they are going to send new props. Hopefully that solves it.

Glad to hear theyre quick to send new parts. Good customer service sure is a nice thing when you get it.

Back