Maxi-Jet Modification

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ronj

Blue Tang
has anyone tried this? it's on the Reef Chili link... i just finished my closed loop..if it really works, this will be my next project...just for fun:D :D Also,what's the scoop on reef chili...is it a good product?

i have two mj900's and a mj600...the link suggests to use the mj400...has anyone tried these other models?

I used a 1200.
The thread on Reef Central tells you how to do the mod with just about all models.

i found the mjmods.com website. i am just going to order these parts.. which do i need for the mj900? there are different impellers? can you help?

i bought a kit and this thing doesn't work...the instructions for the impeller rebuild are very vague..they don't tell the length to cut things...if i knew some more details, i could get mine to work.my impeller assembly will start to work and then it gets stuck, but you can't see anything catching it and making it stop...anyone have an idea?

now i just added the little rubber stopper on the end of the steel rod...i saw this in someone else's pics and figured i would see if it needed that to spin right

ronj
trimming down the prop will usually make the mj start up. use a dremel sander held at 90 deg to the prop while it is still on the shaft and grind away. trimming it in this manner will balance it.

I tried this mod 4 times and I get the same result everytime, when you glue the rubber ends on the new ss rod,no matter how long you wait for it to dry the rod ends up breaking loose and seizing up the mj,so I just put two mj's on a wavemaker and you dont even hear them working unlike the clatter of this mod trying to start in the right direction... IMHO, this isnt worth the time and money.

One thing you might to check is that the new rod is completely straight and centred. If it is off centre it will cause the unit to chatter and stop. I have done a few of these mods including 2 900's they work great for the money.

Reefbound said:
I tried this mod 4 times and I get the same result everytime, when you glue the rubber ends on the new ss rod,no matter how long you wait for it to dry the rod ends up breaking loose and seizing up the mj,so I just put two mj's on a wavemaker and you dont even hear them working unlike the clatter of this mod trying to start in the right direction... IMHO, this isnt worth the time and money.

why are you gluing the rubber ends on the shaft ?

I think there is a bit of luck involved in this mod but mostly to need a bit of inherent DIY skill .

ronj said:
now i just added the little rubber stopper on the end of the steel rod...i saw this in someone else's pics and figured i would see if it needed that to spin right

judging by those pics your biggest problem is how bent that tube is. that's going to create a ton of friction

if ya don't feel like sifting through all the posts on that thread there is a help page.

http://www.reefchili.com/help.html

i didn't have a good tool on hand to cut the rod, so the end is bent some...ineed to get the thing back out and fix it...i just threw it in a drawer and left it when it didn't work

sea monkey said:
why are you gluing the rubber ends on the shaft ?

need a bit of inherent DIY skill .

Im a very good DIY'er , For some reason the ends would not stay on... So I had to glue them. Im no longer doing this mod because of the unstopable noise from the propeller slap on the stop...arrrrrrgghhh...

Back