May try the "Mesh Mod"

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mvit

Hey All,

I've got a cheap venturi type skimmer(won 75) and a maxijet 1200 pump running it. Don't get me wrong it skims but I think it could do better.

What I am thinking of doing is to remove the venturi section(pulls right off),mesh mod the maxi jet and feed its output directly to the skimmer. This would only require a short run of tubing from the maxi to the skimmer nipple where the venturi/u-tube assy items 7 and 12 were.

I have attached a pic of skimmer.

What I need to know is does the mod reduce the flow of the pump a bit?
I am afraid I may get too much flow because right now the venturi slows it to pretty much a hard trickle and when I run the max wide open it has a serious amount of pressure for a small pump.

Any other ideas or opinions? Should I try to mod the venturi or make my own?
I thaught the mesh mod would yield the most bang for my (lack of) buck!

Thanks

No, it is a Won Bros. CU-75. Probably the same thing,a cheap,chinese made generic skimmer with multiple lables it is sold under. It works for me better than my Aqua-c remora hang on I think. I was just looking to improve it.

Mvit have you tried the mesh mod yet? I am interested to know the outcome. I just moded my ASM G2. And the results were outstanding. If you need the mesh try www.meshmod.net cheapest place I found.

Last edited:
I did and I did'nt. I modded a generic powerhead and tried it on the skimmer. I had to rig up the air induction part on the intake of the powerhead. It did make a %@#*load of bubbles!!! Almost foam. On the skimmer though I could not adjust it properly to stop the constant outflow of microbubbles. The skimmer body is too short and skinny I think.
What I ended up doing was augging out the original venturi and running the un-modded maxjet and it definately increased performance with much less microbubbles.I am happy with that for now.
The mod definately works though. I did not use enkamat I used some coarse foam filter material I had around and some mono fishing line.
Glad to hear it worked out for you. My tank has always had low skimmate production, I never could get much output cuz of my low bioload on the tank.

Hi nice thread skimerwhisper! Im sure that helps out alot of people wondering how to do it. I tried the gutter guard on my asm g2 and it did not work well for me. I had better performance from the actual mesh (pf4) I am sure it all depends on the skimmer. I have done the mesh mod on ASM ATI bubble master 200, (used PF5) and SS125 ..here is a shot of my mesh modded asm g2 4 days of nog
113795ASM_G2.jpg

Last edited:
I did and I did'nt. I modded a generic powerhead and tried it on the skimmer. I had to rig up the air induction part on the intake of the powerhead. It did make a %@#*load of bubbles!!! Almost foam. On the skimmer though I could not adjust it properly to stop the constant outflow of microbubbles. The skimmer body is too short and skinny I think.
What I ended up doing was augging out the original venturi and running the un-modded maxjet and it definately increased performance with much less microbubbles.I am happy with that for now.
The mod definately works though. I did not use enkamat I used some coarse foam filter material I had around and some mono fishing line.
Glad to hear it worked out for you. My tank has always had low skimmate production, I never could get much output cuz of my low bioload on the tank.

You need to use a MJ900 or MJ600 to do a mesh mod for that Won skimmer. The MJ1200 once modded would create too much flow for it. Remember the mesh mod not only will increase the air intake but also increase the water flow as well.

Back