Maybe a tweak?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Shalori

K, I don't want to start another inflammitory thread, but I have a question regarding the new group buy rules. Though I'm aware of the logic behind the rule, and the role that sponsors play in keeping the site going, what about when the sponsors don't have what we need? Maybe there should be an exception to the rule for items that we can't get from the sponsors?

For example, berghia. People have done group buys on them before, as shipping can be cost prohibitive for some, but with the new rules, we won't be able to do that anymore? If it's an item that we can't get from a sponsor, then we're not taking anything away from their business, as you can't buy what they don't have.

I don't think it would come up that often, I don't think that there's a ton of things not available from the sponsors, but I think that there should be exceptions/provisions for such occasions.

Again, I was recently reading where people were fired up about the subject of the sales forums and group buys, and don't want to get that whole thing goin again, but I really feel this bears consideration.

I'd suggest contacting one of our Sponsors. I would be surprised if you come across anything that one of our Sponsors is absolutely unable to get. As an example, since you mentioned Berghia, one of our Sponsors, in your area, recently posted that they have Berghia available.

If you were to contact most of our Sponsors, with the idea of a group buy, I'm almost positive that they could not only get the item for you, but would be willing to bend over backwards, to try and price match.

Shalori, just to expand on that a bit. As Mods/keepers of the board its becomes a tough line to hold between our sponcers and our members needs/desires. On one side we see our members wanting to be able to put group buys together to save some money, Understandable. On the other side we see our sponcers paying to advertise here and supporting the board and then they have to see possible good size sales going to other vendors (that dont sponcer/support) the board.
So whats a Mod to do?? Getting a sponcer together with a group buy ( as Sid Suggested) is the perfect outcome. SO giving that a try would be a great first step. The second (if that cant be done) would be to go ahead to do your buy from a vendor you like, but just dont advertise it on the board. So you have a list of members, feel free to PM them and go ahead and put your order together. Most of the time its the same folks who like to get in on these type of buys so it shouldnt be to much extra work.

Thanks

Mojo

Thanks for the input.

I understand, Mike, it's gotta be a tough gig to be a mod, cuz it's impossible to keep everyone happy 100% of the time. :)

thanks for letting me know Adam. Every time I've gone there to check they're always out, with no eta for when they can get more. Sounds like it's not something that's always available. Must be due to popularity of the little critters. I'll have to go do a little more reading, cuz I think I remember reading that you wanted to introduce multiples for them to survive, but I could be wrong. And if I am, I'll wanna go grab that one that they do have. I just need to get rid of this stinking aiptasia, and individually nukin' em doesn't seem to be cutting it. Though I also read somewhere that when you nuke em, they stress and release more... Lol I think I'm getting off topic. :)

anyhow, thanks for the info :)

Back