Me, Myself, & Sherman too.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jnarowe

Beer-a-holic
So there was some action in another forum and things got out-of-hand. I am posting in this forum because it matters to me what local PSAS members took away from that other thread.

To clarify some issues about myself:

I am in the aquarium business, although not at a very active level yet. Many of you know that I had a stroke and cannot work in my retail store. I have turned to helping other aquarium keepers as a means to stay productive and do something I really am passionate about. I have never told any supplier that I have an aquarium store. There's just no need for that. What I tell themis exaclty what I wrote above.

I do consult on aquarium projects. I do sell marine animals, rock, and corals at discounted prices. I am on a personal crusade to change the way rock is sold to consumers because the industry has convinced consumers that they are selling live rock when, IMO, they are selling rock that has had all life killed off of it with the exception of very hardy bacteria because it is kept in tanks with inadequate flow and light. The whole "cured" rock idea makes my head spin. Rock doesn't need to be "cured" and why pay top dollar for dead (cured) rock? Of course, when you buy what I call real live rock, you also can get bad hitch-hikers like predatory shrimp and crabs. I believe that those can be managed while still getting tons of great life on the rock. It's more work to deal with, but the rewards are great.

To me, real live rock has all kinds of life on it including multiple colors of coraline algae, macroa algae, pods, sponges, clams, oysters, corals, and more. Here is a picture of what it looks like:

mi%20rock3.jpg

This rock came in with yellow, green, orange, red, blue, and purple coraline algae. It also had various corals, thorny oysters, macro algae, sponges and some animals like stomatella.

Rock wholesales between $1.49 and $2.85/lb. and sells for roughly $5 - $12 depending on the retailer. When I buy rock I stipulate that the boxes not be opened and I encourage others to do the same. Selling "cherry picked" rock has become popular and a way for the retailer to upcharge but what you are really getting is rock boxes that have been opened, your order filled, and all the good stuff kept to be sold in the store.

I also am on a crusade to change the way inverts are sold in the hobby as the majority are either not reef safe or incompatible with captive tanks. I do this as a registered desirable invertebrate breeder through the DIBS program. Curently my DIBS animals are being purchased and sent to start-up breeders around the country but once we have established a breeder network, I will have more freedom to sell them locally. My first shipment was roughly 300 snails including stomatella, DIBS Turbo sp., columbellids, and nerites, all captive bred in my system. I started with just a dozen of these snails and now have thousands.

These snails have certain advantages over what is moslty sold in the hobby:

1. They are true warm water inverts.
2. They can get up if they fall down.
3. They breed in captivity.
4. They stay relatively small.
5. They have longer life spans.

Anyone who wants to see them can come by and visit.

I also try to innovate equipment and am the first person I know of that has built a multi-media reactor. Here is a pic of it:

multi%20reactor.jpg

This is a pic of the prototype unit and does not have the baskets installed to let people see where stuff goes. The unit shown is much larger than what a typical reef would need and that's a key issue. This reactor can be sized to fit under an aquarium and combine 3 or 4 reactors into one slim footprint, saving money and valuable space. AND it works really well.

The input is from a manifold driven by a return pump, but it can also be fed with and overflow or sump pump. The first chamber is 4" of reusable floss and 5 lbs. of carbon. Most of the flow is bled off with just a little going into the next chambers. That is an Eheim recirc pump on top that constantly draws from the top and returns through the bottom making both Ca chambers upflow and maximizing CO2 use. Then the flow goes into a Rowa chamber and the effluent comes out into a filter sock and into the sump. The effluent is flowing very slowly. This unit keeps my 1,200g tank at the proper Ca levels and I matched it to a nice kalk stirrer top-off from Barr Aquatic.

One other person got caught up in that other thread and I want to make sure that PSAS members understand that Sherman is a straight talking reefing wiz. He builds and buys skimmers like there's no tomorrow and the ones he buys he modifies to make them work better. He has built impressive intake mufflers too. Anyone would be lucky to have a skimmer Sherman built, but that is a tough business with all the import skimmers on the market now.

He does sell a lot of aquarium related products, and mostly on E-Bay. I buy stuff from him because he has really good prices. Much better than online retailers. He sells beckett parts, lots of filter socks, and he has totally kick butt super glue gel in large tubes that can be sealed and reused many times. Yay! Sherman is a really good guy, has a fabulous reef, and is a real go-to guy when it comes to good advice on equipment, water chemistry, and husbandry. And he gives advice without being long-winded or condescending.

Anyone with any question about that other thread, or anything I have written here, please feel free to post or PM. I don't like the way that turned out, but I cannot let defamatory stuff go unanswered.

We should have a PSAS "shoot the breese session" at the local watering hole over on your side of the water and you can educate us on what you are describing here. I am applaud your efforts to think outside the box and also to improve the process by which we get our livestock...both are needed to keep this hobby moving forward.

Thanks. I do appreciate the commpliment. :) And we have a killer watering hole nearby for sure, but my tank room is heavily stocked with top-notch import brews that I sell in my store. In fact I could run a nice after-hours club in there!! It's the hum of equipment that makes the beer go down so easy. :D

Hey thanks for the kind words Jonathan. Things will work themselves out just fine in the end. I think you covered everything well. I can't comment on it any further than that without peeing in the pool again so I won't. I'm glad to hear the DIBS project is coming together for you.

It will all be good. And I just got some Delirium Tremens in the tank room fridge! Chocolate fondue and wicked beer tomorrow man. Bring the wife, leave the kids. :D

Hummmm... a local "Tank room" and imported beer??? How could things possiblly get any better than that?!?!?! :D

Visitors are always welcome. We don't learn more about our "hobby" wiithout lots of discussion and beer helps too! :)

There are 4 tanks here that I am very familiar with and each one is unique in its installation and husbandry practices. They are all well worth seeing, and I am sure there are many more that I haven't seen. In particular it is really interesting to learn the different philosophies of husbandry these tank owners have.

Two of them are DSB, one is completely bare bottom, and one has partial SB and a remote DSB. All have sumps, 3 have refugiums of varying sizes, 2 have equipment rooms, one has the equipment in the garage in a very unique install. The cleanest, best looking, healthiest tank is an under-tank sump using a rubbermaid storage bin.

I will be helping set up a 650g system in Seabeck in the Spring and I have high hopes it will be really sweet.

I'm hoping to move from Seattle to that side of the water in the next few years. Its nice to know there's some active reefers with nice tanks over there!

(Especially for when I go on vacation. :p)

-Dylan

Jnarowe, where did you get your LR from? I got mine from tampabaysaltwater, dont know if youve heard of them. Was defintley one of the best experiences I ever had looking through all the hitchikers and learning the good from the bad. Glad to see Im not the only one on this forum with aquacultured rock.

Dylan: Plenty of reefers here to watch your back for vacations. :)

jezzeaepi: Got my rock in from the Marshall Islands. TBS is great rock too, but much to expensive for a system the size of mine, and I don't buy into their "package" with all the sand and sand dwelling creatures. It's just a different philosophy than mine, although I know there are some sweet tanks with TBS rock in them. If you want to discuss more about that, PM me and I'll explain what I mean.

I could explain it here too I guess, but I am not sure anyone really wants to read it! :D

BTW, I just fed an acro eating crab to the agressive tank over at the Shark Reef.

Well we had a great time tonight. Sherman, Tage, and Greg Hyra (marine biologist) came over for chocolate fondue fountain and killer beers. We BS'd about all sorts of reef keeping issues, FW issues etc. and I showed them the evidence of my little catastrophe I had a few days ago.

We are all going over to Tage's house tommorrow to check out his 375g system. He also has a nice FW planted tank. Tage's system is interesting in that it has a remote equipment room, large refugium, and a very unique method of keeping detritus off the bottom of his DSB display. I can't wait to show Sherman and Greg! :)

Just to throw a few words in here.

I used to buy skimmers from Sherman before he wasn't able to get the pieces made anymore and they worked great. In fact I have 4 customers that still have some of his first ones working well on their tanks. Sherman has been a customer for almost as long as I can remember and it has always been a pleasure.

As for Jonathan, it has been great to get to know you and learn from you. I still learn something everyday from all kinds of sources, and I know I always will in this everchanging hobby. By the way, I got someone closer getting me prices on that salt here soon. I will let you know when they send me the email.

Hey Eric...congrats dude! Did you hear I dropped off that acro-eating crab in your trigger tank? If he is still alive, he's running scared! :D

We all went to visit Tage's tanks yesterday and as always, it was fun and interesting. I think Sherman and Greg really got a kick out of his setup. His display is really nice and the equipment area is always fun to check out. Tage has an interesting combination of down-and-dirty DIY and top-line manufactured equipment. He said he will be installing a Deltec Ca reactor soon and I am going to help with the installation.

Tage has some really cool fish and a very interesting way of feeding his tank. He uses an upside down jug with the bottom cut off, and a hose going into the tank and the opening mounted down low near the sand. He fills the jug a bit with tank water using a small pump and drops in food, swirls it around and lets it rip. The food comes out near the bottom so his sand dwelling goby can get something to eat before the other fish gobble everything up. It's cool to watch for sure and he has figured out a way to keep the goby from starving!

Well I just got back from The Shark Reef and took about an hour dipping and cutting on 3 rescue SPS. They all seem to be fine and one got crazy with the polyps right away. I had to break one up pretty good to get around the RTN, but the price was right at $10 per coral.

Another one we believe is a pink mille and when I put it in the female maroon went berzerk and tossed it. That damn fish makes mounting corals such a pain, but I still love/hate her anyway! :lol:

I have another one he tossed in with my order of peppermint shrimp last week and it has started to color up after only about 6 days. My LPS seem to be recovering so that's good, but I found my alk down to 6.2 dKH a couple days ago. I can't figure out how it gets so low so quick since it was 9.6 dKH just 3 days prior. I guess testing every day is about all I can do.

Sherman and I have ordered in a box of SPS from Eric which should come in Wednesday night. He is giving us a great price to buy by the box and I will post pics Thursday if I get time.

I'm always willing to meet more "Fishy people" (as my better half keeps complaining about). :D

This next month is getting a little on the hectic side for me (wedding is next month), but let me see what I can work out for possiblly this weekend to do a meet & greet. I'm always interested in having people help critique my system, and possiblly have some helpful info that I can work into things! :D

Mine tank is still in the recovery/new stage after my move and re-starting it this summer, but I will see what I can get to work with my better-half, and get back to ya.

And, if things don't work out this way, I always enjoy drooling at someone's tank, and from the sounds of your system I will probably need to bring a couple towels with me, so I don't drool all over your floor! :D

Either way is fine with me. I am sure a couple other reefers I know will join us. We have a reefer who just moved to Kingston who may come to visit on Sunday.

Back