Mechanical filtration (other than skimming)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Who incorporates Mechanical filtration in their systems

• Sponges

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Filter socks

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • filter floss

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • filter pads

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • None

Votes: 5 26.3%

• Total voters

Krish

RF STAFF
The whole concept behind mechanical filtration is simply a method people go about removing waste particles from their system before it has a chance to break down and cause water quality issues (atleast that's my explaination :D).

So...Let's see who out there incorporates the use of mechanical filtration in their systems and what method is most popular. This can be anything from the use of filter socks, sponges (in a canister filter, power filter, sump etc), filter pads, filter floss etc or are there others out there like me, that don't use any form of mechanical filtration (other than skimming if infact it would be considered "mechanical" in nature)? I particularily don't use any sponges etc for the simple fact that they require too much maintenance in themselves by needing to be changed or cleaned frequently. You leave them too long and they work against you so I just skip that part.

So get your votes in! If you like, you can leave a brief explaination as to how incorporate these spopnges, filter socks etc into your system or why you don't use any. If I missed anything, just let me know and I can add it to the poll:)

Last edited:
I run the same 100 micron filter fabric that is commonly used to make filter socks except just cut up in rectangles. It is the first thing the water goes through in my HOB fuge, so that the carbon and chaeto don't get loaded up with particles and detritus.

I like it because its easier to change than filter floss and they are washable.

Mech Filter

I run a small RENA canister with filter pad/floss and carbon for 2-3 days after doing a bi-monthly tank and substrate cleaning in order to remove large detritus and particle matter, and to "polish" the water. I remove it from the system after 3 or 4 days so that it doesnt spike my Nitrate levels. Works great.

Ichthys

Ocassionally if I have detectable nitrates (or like when the bulb broke in my sump), I will use the filter pad inserts that are pre loaded with carbon.

I use a filter sock. It stops bubbles and helps grab detritus. I replace the sock twice a week. It works well for me.

I bought 16 of them so I have a full washer load to wash them, and I don't put off the change because I have enough clean and ready to run all the time.
It does use a bit of washer water though, I run an empty load to remove the soap, then the filters with bleach, then another run with just filters and water.
They get clean and they don't effect my skimmer when I add them, so it seems okay.

I voted socks but really, any mechanical filtration I can do and not cause ill effects I'll do it!

I take it so far that I don't even use the pre-filter sponges on my pumps. I let them run without them. They will act in the same way as any other sponge which I think people over-look.

Filter socks for me as well (7"diax14"long). Change them once to twice a week. I only have 6 or 7 but am working my way up to 15-20 just to make washing them less wasteful. Works really well for me :)

Pads. I guess that is what I have. I have a filter box at the entrance of my sump with a couple stages where the water has to pass two pads before gaining entrance to the sump where the protein skimmer resides. I don't change these as often as I should but they do collect larger particles and turn brown with detritus, etc.

Back