Med Sized Skimmer Comparison 100-150 Gal

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

90OcReef

I was online the other day reading O2manyfish's skimmer comparison and quickly realized that it was for much larger aquariums then what i have. I am wondering if some of you with experience could maybe point some of us newbies in the right direction as to what skimmers to stay away from and which ones seem to be more efficient then others. Looking at any skimmers rated from 100 - 150 gallons. To be more specific, my tank is a 90 gallon which i am planning will have a sump. Any suggestions or opinions will definately help me and i'm sure others too! Thanks guys

-Jess

I have 4 prizam skimmer, 2 prizam pro deluxe, and a red sea berilin skimmer. They are junk. Do not be stupid like me and buy them. Get the asm g series or another euroreef clone. www.vividaquariums.com a sponsor has asm-g on sale. The prizam skimmers work but need constant adjustment and will flood your floor. I want to shoot large holes in mine. Everyone seems to like the remora and urchin series but I dont have any hands on time with one yet. HTH Steve

i hear the red sea berlin work good but not the prisms. i have a simple one built into my wet/dry and it kicks up some great skimmate.

I have to agree with Steve all the skimmers he listed are not that great for the money you spend on them. The ASM G-2 would be a great choice I have seen many of the ASM skimmers work it is the best skimmer for the money that is easy to setup and comes with a good pump for around $300.00. The company owner split from Euro Reef and have the same design with same brand pump. The difference is they use a different type of acrylic that is thinner but is half the cost. The berlin and kent nautilus will cost you over $200.00 with pump and they are low end skimmers with a big price. I would spend a little extra and get a good one. Good luck Dave.

you guys have probably never heard of pro clear aquatics but they make quality wet/dry filters and HOT skimmers and in sump skimmer, calcium reactors and custom tanks hell they make it all lol. they are sold on ebay for pretty cheap but all come with a lifetime guarentee. www.proclearaquatics.com great products and usually always have a technician that actually makes the equipment on hand for customer service.

Last edited:
I have a 90g too and would recomend the ASM G-3 since its really only a couple bucks more then the G-2 anyways

i highly recomend the etss line of skimmers down draft skimmers are still considered the best. ive used reefdevil and etss 500evolution and both kick som serious but on skimate

thanks guys for all the wonderful input! It will definately help me a bunch. I will be looking to buy a skimmer within a week or so and i will get your suggestions first!! Thanks!!

-Jess

I have a Pro Series Wet/Dry Filter from Pro Clear and I'm very happy with it. The skimmer is very efficient and is extremely easy to clean. I pick up this unit originally because of my limited space in my stand, but have grown to really appreciate it.

Jiddy said:
I have a 90g too and would recomend the ASM G-3 since its really only a couple bucks more then the G-2 anyways

That is a great skimmer for the money! I think that was a great choice. I don't think you can go wrong on the Ets or any of the Beckett skimmers all are great skimmers and work great. :)

Stay away from Wet/Dry filtration if you are going to do a reef tank :mad: . The most important thing with a reef tank if you ask anyone who is successful in reef keeping is the Live Rock and a good skimmer.

Don't be afraid of using a skimmer rated for 200-300gal on your 90 the cleaner the water the happier the livestock. :)

Or just remove the Dry component from the wet/dry filtration. I removed the bio balls in my wet/dry system (with 110 lbs of live rock) and I'm having great results. I may want to use the filter some day for a fish only tank, so it can be a nice option to have.

Back