Media center computer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

snobanker

Hey I've been thinking about building a media computer to put in my family room that basically takes the place of my DVD player/burner, surround sound system, AM/FM tuner. CD jukebox etc. Anyone here have any experience with that? Kensn I know you built a nice jukebox......

I've built several desktops but never something along this line. I am kind of looking for component suggestions, software suggestions. etc. I want it to have an IR remote as well.

Check out this site. http://www.htpcnews.com/main.php?id=guides1

There are several guides about selecting components and building an HTPC, everything from HTPC 101 to mega dollar systems. I've been planning on building one for some time now. Unfortunatley I got sidetracked by some little fish and corals which are pretty effective at consuming my spare time and funds. :(

Guess I need to work less! :lol:

hey Stan, don't foget to show us, the end.
you should pm Ken, he's been a little busy so the best way to talk to him is by pm dood.

You can hook an xbox 360 to it and have on demand style programs and moives and music streaming to your tv. Thats what Ive done.

I would use and Xbox 360 or an original xbox with a mod chip and XBMC. You can also add an IR port to the original xbox. (programable) The original xbox is probably the most flexible because people are still programing big time for it and the software is alway free. http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/
The steaming video is awsome!! Only downside is no HDMI cable:cry:
If you have any xbox modding questions send em my way!!

Brian

Last edited:
you mod too??? You guys need to send me a party invite and level me up. The highest Ive ever been was a 23 and I always got modded and no im only a 21. I get get any higher.

What the heck is mod? Some online game?...I should ask my kids.....lol
No prob on a hi-jack..it's all good. :)

Oh hey Handegard I PM'd you back. I wanted to add that I want the capability to send composite video out to my TV as well as having optical sound output in case it cant be my surround sound.

I'm not sure guy's but "I think" the things I want it to do may be beyond an Xbox, but maybe not. I'll check out my son's Xbox...

Mod is short for Modify at least on xbox live lol! People will upload programs on to a computer and make the computer the drive you play Halo 2 off of on xbox live on your TV, when you convert to PC format you can change the game play before, after or during a game to help yourself win ........ OK cheat =)
The games are ranked and if your not cheating and you play a "modder" its nearly impossible to beat one. Extra damage, automatic head shots, blah blah blah. The more wins you get the higher your rank goes and I guess that really doesn't matter except for bragging rights.

You really need the xbox 360 to do that media stuff.
Streaming video, on demand video, windows media player, file sharing : music, video and photos etc.
AND you can do it wireless.

oh i see - you have to have a Windows XP Media Center box running somewhere in the house in order for the 360 to interface with it to watch TV, record programs, etc.

Back