Media center computer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Most of the Media Center centric use's for a Xbox involve either:

A. Xbox Media Center Extender; in which the Xbox becomes only a head end for a existing Media Center.

or

B: "modding" a Xbox. This can mean a simple software hack, or it can be as involving as actually whipping out a soldering gun and going to work on the internals of your Xbox. Depends on what you attempt.

The Xbox 360, on the other hand, has the Media Center Extender built in, but it still requires a existing Media Center.

Stan dood, well i guess they explained you everything.
I only have an old xbox and seriously it can do wonders (boys you forgot to say that you can even play nintendo :D).
and yes you can show videos, watch movies etc... it's like a computer, you just pretty much have to re program the whole xbox, but it's worth it.

snobanker said:
Hey I've been thinking about building a media computer to put in my family room that basically takes the place of my DVD player/burner, surround sound system, AM/FM tuner. CD jukebox etc. Anyone here have any experience with that? Kensn I know you built a nice jukebox......

I've built several desktops but never something along this line. I am kind of looking for component suggestions, software suggestions. etc. I want it to have an IR remote as well.

Stan,
Have you done anymore research on this. Sure would be nice to cut all those components back to just a tower. I need to get a new dvd player and the vcr is shot. Sounds like this may be a better option.

Don

Gabby pretty much hit it on the head. In order to reach the full potential of the xbox a "mod chip" www.teamxecuter.com must be installed and programed along with a larger hard drive. It allows you to run "unassigned code". At that point the door is wide open. You probably would have a lot less headaches getting an xbox 360 though. But you do have a friend or two who can help walk you through the programing process;)

If you are intersted here is a list of stuff you can do.
Play online for free via xlink. (link compatable games)
Backup games to hard drive. (Great if you have kids that scratch up the original)
Play Nintendo, SNES, N64, PS1 games ect. (requires an emulator and ROMS)
Stream pretty much any kind of media from your PC.
Watch movie trailers on demand.
Listen to internet radio.
Get a generic weather forcast for your area
You can record tv also but it requires replay tv
It does require high speed internet and a router.

If you lived closer I would set you up.:D

Brian

I forgot to mention you would also need a large Hard drive on your computer. Thats were all the media (mainly dvds) would be stored.

Last edited:
hehe thank you Brian :D i really apreciate it and wish you could live closer.
My xbox does all that and if you only knew :lol: , the only thing with it is that there's a little person named Antonio who's 2 years old and thought that the best way to get full color would be pushing crayons into the xbox :cry: so now the xbox doesn't open, it was a heart breaker when i tried using it (boys never leave a kid alone ).
This is why i wanna get the xbox 360 (my husband owes me :D)

Gabby you can probably find a replacement drive on ebay until your husband gets you the 360.:D I know my cousin picked one up for $25 a couple of weeks ago. I was hoping to get the 360 for christmas but I got a 51" HD instead. Not a bad tradeoff at all!!!!

Sorry Stan!! This is probably not the direction you wanted the thread to go.

Brian

thank you dood, i didn't know i could find a replacement.. i'll check on Ebay and may be best buy and see if i can it.

I was hoping to get the 360 for christmas but I got a 51" HD instead. Not a bad tradeoff at all!!!!

:D that's sweet dood.

Sorry Stan for all this hijacking :oops: ,but on the other hand i think you'd be happy with your kid's xbox just don't tell them what you are gonna do with it.

Anyone with more suggestions for my dood Stan? i mean a side from the xbox

The xbox sounds good, but can I play games on it is my question...hahaha jk.
Don I got some good PM feedback from Handgard on this, I want to do the same thing and eliminate about 3 or 4 different components I'm using now.

Basically I want to use it for watching DVD movies, recording DVDs, surround sound, music Jukebox for all my CD's. And on a suggestion use it as a free replacement for a DVR (TIVO) etc...etc

Hey Gabby I had to repair the drive for my other son's PS2 and I found plenty of sites online on how to do it..I'm sure there are some for xbox...it was easy too

thank you dood, i'm gonna take care of my xbox :) (i wanna hear all my Frank Sinatra collection again).

hehe i didn't know you had tivo (good for recording the Seahawks' game and watch over and over and over :D) .

please Stan let us know what you get or what you did :) .

Back