Meeting and News!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

The R/C Man

Hello All!

We now have set place to hold our October meeting. For everyone on the mailing list, directions and other info will be on its way soon.

Club news: I have been calling around to locate a place we can hold meetings at other than individual's houses. Initially I was expecting somewhere in the neighborhood of $20 - $30 for the evening. Spokane CC is asking $90 for a once a month slot that would be done up in contract form. That will definitely exceed what I believe to be a reasonable expense so I am continuing to look around.

Today I will be making a trip to the bank to start our club account. This leads me to our next subject, club dues. If you would like to be an official club member we are going to be asking for club dues starting this month. Annual membership will be $15 for youths (17yrs or under) $25 for adults and $30 for families. The meetings we still be open to everyone whether or not they are a member. However, members will have access to some cool benefits such as discounts to special events and local shops and access to the club library.

To help get us off the ground financially as an official non-profit organization we are planning to hold equipment raffles at the club meetings as well as selling things such as t-shirts and bookmarks with our club logo on them. I will also be going around over the next couple of weeks looking for sponsors to help support us in this effort.

Lastly, the club needs volunteers. To make this club successful will take some effort but I can’t do it all alone. Volunteering for a position will not be a major undertaking on part of the member. For example, treasure would consist of balancing the clubs check book and keeping track of spending. The secretary would take meeting minutes and keep track of members and the vice president would assist in presidential duties. Most of these tasks can be done by spending an hour or two a month but the combined effort of a group will make the club flourish. Please, if you can spare a couple hours a month and would like to give something back to the community, step up and take on a rewarding position in the Spokane Reef Society.

Thanks!
Greg Allen

Hi Greg,
Thank you for all you've been doing lately, and in the past. I know it's hard to find meeting locations each month. If I knew for sure I'd be home, I'd volunteer our home this month, or next. Unfortunately, with my job, I never know if I'll be home more than a week in advance. If I'm able to find out far enough in advance, we would be willing to host a meeting when able to. Thanks again!!

Michael and Angie

Hey Guys!

Not a problem! The permanent meeting place will be for a few reasons. First, as you mentioned, we don't have to struggle to find a place to hold the meetings. Second, we will have access to a screen and projector which will allow for better presentations. Third, we will be able to have a larger crowd. Of course we will still do the meetings at peoples houses so they can "show off" :D but this will help tremendously....

Happy Reefing!
~ ~><{{{}}}">

More News...

As of right now the club is in the process of acquiring a P.O. Box. Until then, if you would like to mail a check for you annual club dues please send me a PM and I will give you my home address. Please make the checks payable to the: Spokane Reef Society. As a side note, if you do not want to be a club member but would like to help the club prosper we are always welcoming donations. :D

Hey Peter!

Don't worry you haven't missed anything.... I have been absolutely slammed with work and school and have not sent it out yet..... ( I wish I could access gmail at work) On that note, it is this Saturday at 7pm. I will type up the e-mail while at work and send it home so I can get it today.... Sorry for the delay. (am I fired?)

:DP.S. the meeting is at my house up on the northside/shadle area - hope to see everyone there!

- Joanne

The meeting Saturday night went well and I would like to extend my appreciation to Joanne for letting us hold the meeting at her place. Although the meeting wasn't too structured we discussed plywood tanks as a cheap alternative to glass and acrylic for the DIYer. Basically it was about being able to afford a larger tank (set up cost wise) than we normally would. Many other side topics arose and some good ideas where bounced around. By the end of the evening we where just gabbing about whatever. It was good time.

Sorry Kevin I don't think anyone had a camera. We'll try and remember ours the next time. Her tank looked awsum!
G'day deanne

Here's some highlight tank shots so you all can see what you missed out on! Excuse the bubbles, my sump has no baffles so all my skimmer bubbles party in my tank :)

Stats - 92 gal corner bowfront, been running 3 + years
5 fish (hippo tang, 2 clowns, 1 blue sided wrasse, 1 yellow watchman goby)
lots of corals
1 250 W MH in the back
1 150 W MH in the front + PC actinics
Lifereef VS-2 skimmer
Reef Concepts Calcium Reactor - new, not dosing yet

Full tank shot
fulltankshot.jpg

FTS and equipment
tankandequipment.jpg

Left side
left.jpg

Right side