MegaFlow all glass tanks

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

morganind

Hi all,
I am starting a new tank where I intend to keep a family of clown fish,
a bubble tipped anemone, some clams and corals. I have a 90 gal tank
that I have kept marine fish and inverts in. But since I am starting over after being away from the hobby for a while I have been considering getting a new 120 gal Megaflow overflow tank. Does the Megaflow adaptation improve the flow patterns and ease of use enough to justify getting a new tank? I don't want to waste money, but now is the time to make these kinds of changes.
Can anyone think of any other benefits to going to a new tank. BTW the 90 is
unaltered and a plan to use my old wet/dry as a sump.

One thing I dont like about the megaflow system. Is the bulkheads that come with it.
If you change them over to slip or threaded bulkheads it should be ok.
The ones that come with it, are barbed for flexable tubing, and we all know what happens with it.

Welcome to RF! I've never had a mega flow, but have seen them and read some reviews on them, and IMO, I think they are cool because they come with their own pre-filter and return, but you'd never get all the flow you would need for a reef setup with just using the provided returns. They are supposed to be only good for 600 or 800 (can't remember exactly) gph per overflow. Nevertheless, you can add to the tank with powerheads, over the top closed loops etc, and I think just the jump from the 90 gal to a 120 is worth it to me personally because of the extra gals which will increase stability in your tank (even more so by you using the 90 gal as a sump). HTH some and I hope you enjoy it here:)

Thanks
I often wondered why all of the tanks I see on the boards are plumbed using
rigid PVC. I thought it was just because it looked better!
I still think that the megaflow would be less of a pain than a siphon fed sump.
Any ideas?

To enhance the flow in whatever tank I end up using I will be getting
a Tunze stream pump and possibly a sea swirl. Unfortunately the 120 gal
is the same length as my 90 gal, so I wouldn't be able to fit the 90 under the
stand. On the upside the 120 is 24" wide making it easier to get all of my lights in place.

Thanks
I often wondered why all of the tanks I see on the boards are plumbed using
rigid PVC. I thought it was just because it looked better!
I still think that the megaflow would be less of a pain than a siphon fed sump.
Any ideas?

I agree with using the mega flow if you can. I use a CPR overflow and have to run an aqualifter on it to help keep its siphon. With the mega flow you won't have that problem...

To enhance the flow in whatever tank I end up using I will be getting
a Tunze stream pump and possibly a sea swirl. Unfortunately the 120 gal
is the same length as my 90 gal, so I wouldn't be able to fit the 90 under the
stand. On the upside the 120 is 24" wide making it easier to get all of my lights in place.

Sounds great! You'll be basically using the same thing as me. I have (2) Tunzes (one @1600 gph and one @1850 gph on a controller) a 3/4 sea-swirl with about 750 gph running through it, and a closed loop I DIY'd with a mag950. All of this is hooked up on my 75 gal which is the same length of your tank. Here is a link to how I did the closed loop and also How the flow is arranged in my tank. HTH:)

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13588

The hard plumbing is because, 50 gallons of fresh water on the floor is a big problem, and the 2-300$ live stock loss is bad.
50 gallons of saltwater on the floor and 1-2000$ or more is devestating.
Tunze rock. I love them.

morganind said:
Hi all,
I am starting a new tank where I intend to keep a family of clown fish,
a bubble tipped anemone, some clams and corals. I have a 90 gal tank
that I have kept marine fish and inverts in. But since I am starting over after being away from the hobby for a while I have been considering getting a new 120 gal Megaflow overflow tank. Does the Megaflow adaptation improve the flow patterns and ease of use enough to justify getting a new tank? I don't want to waste money, but now is the time to make these kinds of changes.
Can anyone think of any other benefits to going to a new tank. BTW the 90 is
unaltered and a plan to use my old wet/dry as a sump.

I believe that getting away from a syphon type overflow to a drilled tank is always worth the extra expense.:)

Back