Melafix..red bugs

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

treehugger

So I just tried this melafix as a quick dip for red bugs to see how it worked. 1 capful to a quart of saltwater. Let them soak for about 4 minutes and man those little buggers were jumping ship. Seems like it takes a bit longer then 4 minutes to kill them but it took the population down for sure. I was curious if anyone else out there uses this as a dip and what strength/time they leave the corals in it. Seems like a good dip to use prior to introducing any new corals and you can pick it up at petsmart so it's easy to get a hold of. Anyway just thought I'd share.

Great news, keep up the good work and please post followups. Wonder if any members are currently battling AEFW, ZEN or MEN and could try this dip.

I had a couple red flatworms on a piece of rock and those suckers melted away fast. I wonder how those AEFW would handle it.
On a side note melafix is basically tea tree oil...anyone care to chime in on that...it's good for killing fleas and lice...i wonder how corals would feel about straight tea tree oil added to some saltwater?

Last edited:
FWIW, I have successfully used Melafix to treat open wounds and fin rot. Need a 5 day treatment preferably in a QT tank. Great stuff.

Kirk

I had a couple red flatworms on a piece of rock and those suckers melted away fast. I wonder how those AEFW would handle it.
On a side note melafix is basically tea tree oil...anyone care to chime in on that...it's good for killing fleas and lice...i wonder how corals would feel about straight tea tree oil added to some saltwater?

Looks like the Steve Tyree tip on the Melafix works. I dipped all the corals I bought from nwcfm last Saturday that night per perscribed by Tyree.

Cool, now we know for sure.

I think the corals might need a bit more then 4 minutes as I saw the red bugs still swimmin for about 6-8 minutes after they came off the coral. Maybe if you mix it a bit stronger then 1 capful per quart they'd die faster. Experiment Experiment Experiment :)

Jeff, looking at your avitar I have to wonder if those are in fact red bugs that you are exterminating. Also, I think cap means bottle top in lieu of teeth

Peppermint shrimp are the red bugs of my tank...damn things love eating aussie acans (but not as much as my turtles and I enjoy them as a snack...haha :) )

Update:

I just finished my first melafix dip. 5ml per quart for five minutes. IMO this stuff is very effective at paralyzing AEFW's. They almost fall right off the corals. It also paralyzes or kills, bristle worms, copepods, mysis shrimp, asterina stars, brittle stars, and in one case, a small aptasia let go of its grip . After ten minutes back in the original tank all of the dipped corals had some polyp extension again. I dipped a few of my healthy resistant corals the same way to see what kind of color loss would happen. Ill update in a day or two to make note of the overall appearance of all of the dipped corals.

Trido,

What were the steps you followed? (that is, how much of the melafix did you use and how long to you submerge the corals?

Can you treat your whole tank with Melafix or do you have to do dips? If you can treat your whole tank with it what is the reccomended dose per gallon?

Can you treat your whole tank with Melafix or do you have to do dips? If you can treat your whole tank with it what is the reccomended dose per gallon?

I wouldnt treat the whole tank with melafix by any means. The recommended dose on the bottle is for treating fish. The bottle dose is 5ml for 10 gallons. Were using 5ml for a quart to effectively treat redbugs, etc. 40times stronger. Im almost positive you would nuke your tank if you tried melafix to treat any SPS pests in the tank with any success.

ON ANOTHER NOTE:

I dipped a couple of my display tank milles two days ago. Much too my suprize,after the recommended five minutes the AEFWs were crawling away from the SPS and writhing in pain as they were dieing.
None of my dipped corals have shown any signs of color loss or brown out. In fact, the two milles are regaining color already. :)

OK. Thanks for the confirmation. I've only used this in a QT when my fish have a open sore or bitten fins. Works great.

So if I decide to get some SPS corals, it sounds like I should start a ritual of dipping them before I add them to the main tank, even if the seller says they are red bug free, eh ?? :D

OK. Thanks for the confirmation. I've only used this in a QT when my fish have a open sore or bitten fins. Works great.

So if I decide to get some SPS corals, it sounds like I should start a ritual of dipping them before I add them to the main tank, even if the seller says they are red bug free, eh ?? :D

Yep, dip and QT even if they come from your best friend. Red bugs are minor compared to AEFWs. I beleive I Picked my plague up from a respectable LFS that has some of the best debugging procedures.
If you can, a QT tank for corals is recommended. Eggs tend to hatch later rather than sooner and there are no treaments for them at this time. Red bug or AEFWs.

Back