Melafix..red bugs

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

It is a beauty! What is that coral near it's base? An LPS? if so, there is your problem. No real problem though...

Thanks for the help Mike,

The coral near the base is a orange yuma ric and you can also see my very large umbrella leather waving too.
As for LPS in the tank, I currently have my Candy cane coral, sun coral and dendro in the tank. It hasn't been to much of an issue thus far from what I've seen.Everything seems to be very healthy and happy in the tank. Even my new rics I got yesterday are happy as can be. I posted some pictures of them over on PSAS wesite.

Cheers,
Alex

Actually I should have said a colony of orange yumas. *lol* And those are very ssloww growing too.

If the leather on the right side brushes the sps or even gets really close, it will cause the symptom you are concerned about.

Thanks, that is good to know. I haven't ever seen the leather touch up on the sps but you never know what happens when you're not watching. *lol*

I plan on fragging the leather very soon as it is at the size when I frag it at. Takes about 6 months for it to grow that size. And it is a bit to large for a 20gallon. *lol*

From what I understand, no. But see what others say as there might be someone who has had problems with red bugs eating other corals.

so red bugs dont affect stuff like chili coral, zoos and mushrooms then?

If all you have soft corals then you don't have to worry about RB. There are all kinds of pest that eat corals for instance you have zoanthids. Did you know that there are zoa eating nudibrach? You should do some research on coral pest so that way you won't freak out why your coral is dieing or disappearing if it were to happen. Also too if you don't have a QT set-up for corals like myself. Make sure you treat all incoming corals going into your DT. I can't reccommend what type of treatment for softies as I can careless for them LOL. Research as much info as you can the more you know the better off you will be in this hobby.

Very tiny, very slow. If not on your acros, then they are of no concern. Even if on acros, of only minor concern. They do NOT eat acros, they seem to feed in or on the mucus layer and can irritate the coral. I have seen many AMAZING sps tanks with the best looking corals coexisting with red bugs. Many tanks do not do as well. The concern is over coloration and polyp extension. The only cure is brutal to the tank and not to be taken lightly. Red bugs should be categorized as more a nuisance than any real invasion.

I have read conflicting statements as to what the red bugs (Tegastes acroporanus) actually eat. I have read that they eat the protective slime coat of acropora and I have also read that they eat the coral's flesh. There used to be a video posted by Eric Borneman showing the red bugs digging into the corals. This video has since been removed from the internet, but some may remember viewing it.

My experience with red bugs was bad, so I would disagree that they are a minor concern. I know a lot of people have them in their system and some don't have a problem with them, but that wasn't the case for me. The red bug infestion in our tank got soo bad that we did lose a few corals. Certain species (tri-colors) were covered in them, not just a few bugs here and there. The red bugs thrived in our aquarium environment and when the red bugs were thriving, the infected corals weren't. Granted they are not as much of a concern as AEFW are, but still enough of a concern to eliminate IMO.

Spellbnd, I don't believe the coral in your pictures is an Acropora. Looks like a Pocillopora to me. If that's the case, I highly doubt you have AEFW. I'd make sure of a coral ID and a pest ID before doing any major fragging. The areas that you mentioned being effected, look to be areas of the colony that are being shaded out by the upper parts of the colony. This can cause differences in coloration, polyp expansion and even tissue loss in those areas. It's a pretty common thing to happen as corals grow and shade out the lower areas of the colony.

O.k. so the thought is dip with melafix new corals. Then put in the tank. In the process getting the little buggers to jump off. Should I assume at that point that "they" will always return?

Beckie

Back