Melafix

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MrSculpin

Does anyone use this product and know what the difference between the freshwater version and the saltwater one is? I have used the melafix for fresh a couple of times on freshwater fish with good results and once with a saltwater fish that had a mouth wound.

It says on the bottle it contains Melaleuca (tea tree oil)
in it. Active ingredients say 1%
Of course it doesnt say what the other 99% is, maybe water?
Im wondering if one could use the oil you can get in the grocery store and mix it instead of paying for this product.
The oil in the store says its 100% Melaleuca and good for infections or wounds..
It costs 9 bucks and something for this small bottle you would want to delute. (sp?)

Id like to treat my freshwater 135 gal... (remind me to never never never buy fish from Petco again!)

You could try it. What are the instructions on the bottle (melafix)? I am sure that some of us in here could configure an accurate equation to figure out what it would be.

I decided to try it out on the freshwater.

The bottle is 8 oz or 237 ml. The API website lists the contents as active ingrediants of the 1% oil.
It does not list what the rest of the mix is.
so I've made up a mix of 1% of the oil to 99 water and am trying it on my fresh tank.

The Melafix says to use one teaspoon (5 ml) for every ten gallons of freshwater.
I think the tank is 125 gals so I've figured out how much for that.

I guess I will see what happens!

The API site shows the marine version of Melafix is 90
water, 1 to 5 % cajeput oil and 1 to 5 percent proprietary or non hazarduos material!

I was just wondering what the difference was between the two versions since the regular Melafix says for fresh or salt water and lists the dosage as the same for both.

Back