Metal halide - 2x150 or 1x250?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

diverted

I am building a 93 gal cube (30x30x25). Within my budget I can do either a single 250 watt halide or a double 150 watt halide. With either, I'll be adding an eccoxotic LED stunner strip. Planning on mostly LPS with maybe a few easy SPS.

Which direction should I go?

I am building a 93 gal cube (30x30x25). Within my budget I can do either a single 250 watt halide or a double 150 watt halide. With either, I'll be adding an eccoxotic LED stunner strip. Planning on mostly LPS with maybe a few easy SPS.

Which direction should I go?

With that depth I'd go with the single 250w to penetrate through the water otherwise you'd need to place your higher light demanding corals higher in the tank. They say usually 1 bulb is good for 24 inches of tank (length wise) but depending on the reflector, it will make all the difference. Dual 150's will give you good surface coverage, but probably won't cut it on depth. As mentioned, it all depends on the reflector being used if the single 250w will be your best option.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Of course this tank is 30 in wide also. The single 250 would give enough width and length?

Seems like I may have to choose area coverage versus the 25" depth coverage...

Of course this tank is 30 in wide also. The single 250 would give enough width and length?

Seems like I may have to choose area coverage versus the 25" depth coverage...

First off welcome to RF!! :welcome:. Thought the name looked new but couldn't tell from tapatalk :p

On the signle 250w, they say it is good for up to 24 inches so you will only have 3 inches on either side of the tank that wouldn't be as bright. Probably not something you will notice with the naked eye I'm thinking. It will all depend on the reflector though and also, even how high you have the light mounted because as you know a lot of reflectors will spread the light out to the sides so as mentioned all depends on the reflector really. If you aren't too concerned about having good impact on the bottom of the tank as you will place your corals that need more light higher then go with the dual 150's. That way you will be sure to have full coverage on the top of the tank although I still think the 250w with the right reflector will do the trick. :)

A good halide reflector will give you good coverage, over a 24"X24" area, with light "fall off" beyond that. This would give you great coverage, over most of the tank, with 3" towards each end of the tank, with light fall off. This 3" would be great for all your LPS and even the lower light demanding SPS corals. This will also help reduce algae growth, on the glass, as the glass won't be getting as intense of lighting.

Back