Metal Halide Ballast Decisions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

OK i like the icecap, but i run PFO HQI, so its a toss up, they both will do the job well and will last for decades. Also i will send pm. I have a pfo 250 hqi available.

I am leaning toward Icecap myself. I bought an ARO from e-bay and seemed to interfere with the TV. Strange I thought. I have someone else in our group testing it at their house. I also have a dual PFO 250 - not running at the moment. Most high end ballast will do the job IMO it is the bulb you pick that makes the difference. Look into T5's also - can do pretty close to the same job using less power. I like the shimmer lines from MH myself.

I have two ARO 250W ballasts on my 125. They make no noise, they fire my Reeflux 14ks at an identical rate. So when my lights turn on everything is even. Never used another brand since this is my first tank set-up but they work great for me.

I pick the ARO E-ballast Why? Warranty is 3 yrs....it runs worry-free. I've had one that was running for 3 years straight and still going, every day, at 9 hours per day. Noise-free, flicker-free, etc. Installation and wiring is very easy, as well, with all the E-ballasts.

I don't think you'll have problems with Hellolights.com. Customer service is top notch.

Best,
Ilham

Back