Metal Halide Buy

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Jiddy

Currently running VHO on my 220gal tank. Finally have the extra cash to upgrade to Metal Halide. I was thinking of running 250w 400w 250w setup. With the 400w in the middle window and the 250w on the sides. I know a carpenter and an electrician so i was going to go DIY on the canopy and retrofit the halides in. My question beging, is this a good price/quality for my ballast decision.

TIA

http://www.championlighting.com/pro...07&cat=0&page=1

Jiddy the link was expired but I can say dealing with them in the past I always had great service, make a call it may help. How deep is your tank man?

Everything but the ballast sounds great, I don't have anything on the ballast, they may be another brand packaged in their housing. Might get someone that has them to chime in.

Do these have some sort of UV shielding? I just went to halide last year from VHO, and used my original VHO with actinics and one daylight bulb with an hour or two a day of halide, then slowly increased the lighting period over the next month, but still had light shock to my corals. Luckily, the only thing I lost was all my coraline. Just saying...be carefull.

-David

The Lumenarc reflectors have an amazing reputation. You've made a great choice there. As for the Kelvin ratings... 20K is awfully blue. You're funding your electric company nicely with 1200w of power, why waste it all in non-productive blue lighting? That's just my personal opinion. Why not settle for a nice middle ground, at 14000K? There's a reason they're so popular. :)

Thanks for the advice on bulb choices. One thing is thou, they give you a choice of bulb when you get the package deal. They are coralvue bulbs either 10K, 12K or 20K

Jiddy reflux 10K's produce a nice blue tint with good performance as far as PAR goes, you can add some blue with the reflux 12k's but loose lots of PAR. Just another thought!

Back