Metal halide grow light

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Faciosity

reefer
I always see metal halides on craigslist for growing plants. If it grows plants it will grow coral right? I have a 400 watt lined up for 100 dollars (seems like they are cheaper when they aren't specifically for coral) and want to make sure it will do the trick. Still waiting for a response to find out the k rating of the bulb.

So long as the ballast can go on the floor, the reflector should be of-grade for use in growing organic specimens. I believe it also helps to have a glass UV guard on them for the sake of the corals, but surely some experts will come along and explain that a little more in-depth.

depends
but most you can switch the bulb to a reef bulb and your set
Show us the link and we can help you more..

I wouldn't buy a ballast not intended for reef keeping personally. I've seen others use them with poor results.

FYI: BCT182 is selling a PFO HQI 400W Ballast for $100. Not sure if it comes with the bulb or not. That is a HECK of a DEAL!!! Mike and I will be at the Bob Moore frag swap, so we may be able to transport it back to Spokane for you if BCT182 is going to the swap.

Mike and I use 3 PFO HQI 400W Ballasts on our 300. I paid a lot more for ours!

I wouldn't buy a ballast not intended for reef keeping personally. I've seen others use them with poor results.

FYI: BCT182 is selling a PFO HQI 400W Ballast for $100. Not sure if it comes with the bulb or not. That is a HECK of a DEAL!!! Mike and I will be at the Bob Moore frag swap, so we may be able to transport it back to Spokane for you if BCT182 is going to the swap.

Mike and I use 3 PFO HQI 400W Ballasts on our 300. I paid a lot more for ours!

When is the swap? I probably am interested. I see that they are all still available, so I'm gonna see if he thinks that's possible. Thanks very much!!! I did end up buying some cheap t5 fixtures that I saw on clearance half priced. But that was a temporary fix, I want something with enough juice for all the sps and maxima clams that I want.

Back