Metal Halides

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

LarryB

I am thinking of up grading my lighting to metal halides. Any recomendations for a 36 gallon tank? What is HQI anyhow?

It all depends on your plans for the inhabitants. I have a 46 bowed front with a 175 w MH 14000K and get good growth with sps and lps. I also had a 96w acintic

I don't think I want to get into SPS, but I would like to get better color out of my zoos. Zoo's like the halides, right?

I am thinking of up grading my lighting to metal halides. Any recomendations for a 36 gallon tank? What is HQI anyhow?

Mercury (Hg) Quartz Iodide, a type of metal halide lamp, also known as double ended or "DE"

A single 150 or 175 watt lamp would be fine.

Does anyone no the answer to the following. I have a 36 inch 70 gallon oceanic tank with a canopy. I'm thinking of upgrading to Metal Hallides. I currently never close the canopy but the wood frame does go around the perimeter of the tank. Now for the question. I assume most legs attach to the perimeter of the tank which is not exposed in this case since it is covered by the wood frame. Can I lay the light fixture directly on the safety glass or MUST it be raised a few inches off the safety glass ?

Thanks

Back