MH 400w to 250W

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

CBRFIREMAN

Is it possible to just pull out my 400w metal halide bulbs and replace them with 250W bulbs and everything will be fine? Or will I have to buy new balasts?

I read it wrong. Wanting to put 250w bulbs in a 400w ballast

Thanks I didnt know if it worked like a flourescent ballast where if you put a smaller wattage bulb in, it would'nt fry it.

What if I used one 400w ballast to light 3 175w bulbs, would that even be worth trying to wire up or should I stick with the triple 400W combo. I only have some softies right now but want to get into some SPS and other light demanding inhabitants.

So the reason for me to want to go smaller with wattage is for the existing softies. Which are under 12 PCs right now. But if you guys think my current tank can handle the three 400 watters, then coooool.:cool:

Thanks I didnt know if it worked like a flourescent ballast where if you put a smaller wattage bulb in, it would'nt fry it.

What if I used one 400w ballast to light 3 175w bulbs, would that even be worth trying to wire up or should I stick with the triple 400W combo. I only have some softies right now but want to get into some SPS and other light demanding inhabitants.

So the reason for me to want to go smaller with wattage is for the existing softies. Which are under 12 PCs right now. But if you guys think my current tank can handle the three 400 watters, then coooool.:cool:

I'm thinking no. They aren't interchangable.

If you can deal with the heat and power bill, you will likely have faster growth and potentially better color with the 3 400's. That's what I would do...and did :)

depending on the depth of the tank 250w halides will work fine for any sps coral. You can even place them low in the tank with no color loss. Again depending on the depth of the tank.

If you try & put a 250 Watt lamp using a 400w ballast it will burn the lamp out & possibly explode it, no doubt replace them.

depending on the depth of the tank 250w halides will work fine for any sps coral. You can even place them low in the tank with no color loss. Again depending on the depth of the tank.

What do you mean by "low in the tank with no color loss". If I place the, 400watters, for example too low I will loose color in my corals?

Back