MH light burnout in 3 days???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tdfox

I installed my MH (Hamilton reefstar) Monday. I noticed yesterday it was flickering and going off and on, I shut it off and was to busy to mess with it.
This am I turn it on and it comes on like normal. I am sitting on the couch with my daughter reading a book and I notice it go off, so I get up and look at it and the filament is gone, burned out. There is a fan in the hood near it so it is not overheating
This is a used but new to me system light is in correctly, no I did not touch the bulb, and the bulb was brand new $70+ down the drain.
I don't want to blow another bulb so... any ideas why?

Thanks
Travis

info

Sorry I knew I should have posted that.
bulb- HB 250W 14k
ballast- PFO Lighting Inc 60Hz 120V 55X2 Amps I can't read the model #
Thanks
Travis

I would double check that you have the correct ANSI rated bulb for your ballast, i.e. is it pulse start or probe start? Only certain ballasts are able to run both types. Traditional metal halide lamps use probe-start technology but there are some pulse start one out there as well. I run pulse start and have been very happy with mine.

I would double check that you have the correct ANSI rated bulb for your ballast, i.e. is it pulse start or probe start? Only certain ballasts are able to run both types. Traditional metal halide lamps use probe-start technology but there are some pulse start one out there as well. I run pulse start and have been very happy with mine.

okay call me lame... no go ahead

I looked at PFOs website and don't see anything related to that nor do I on the bulbs soooo How do I find this out?
Thanks
Travis

more info

Okay after some eye strain I can read the model of the ballast.

AQ2250HQI

from PFO they say this is a ballast designed to run Euro and double ended lights.

Ansi code from your web link is a M80

so then I go to HBs site and they say that the bulbs are to be run on an HQI ballast.

So everything looks good now I am back to the beginning. Why?

Thanks
Travis

55X2 Amps

Something isn't right here, if it states 55 X 2 amps this sounds like a fluorescent ballast not a MH ballast, are you sure it is a AQ2250HQI? You first said you could not get a model number right, then how do you get that it is an 250HQI & where does it say 55X2?

yep

Yes I am sure now that is what it says.
I was able to get it in good light and read it.
it is the AQ2250HQI
and then below that it says
60Hz 120V 55X2 amps

the lights with it are the double ended/bladed lights

Thanks
Travis

sounds to me you may have just got a bad bulb, or you had some sort of power surge. Try to contact username Big T. he (tom) uses the m80 ballast and absolutely loves it.

That is a duel ballast, It almost certain that you had a bad lamp, call & get it replaced, they should get you a new one.

That is a duel ballast, It almost certain that you had a bad lamp, call & get it replaced, they should get you a new one.

ya know that is what I have been thinking also.
I called the shop yesterday and they said no prob come & get a new one.
Thanks
Travis

update

Here is an update...
Upon getting new bulbs and going to installing them I see the problem.
The bulb connections (where the blade ends go in) are damaged. The bulbs were not making correct contact. The bulb looked like it was in all the way, but it was not. So now that I have new connectors in it all works great.
Thanks for all the help and the lesson learned.
Travis

Back