MH: Reef Standard vs. High Bay

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Inconservatory

Hi all,

I was wanting to know if there was a significant difference, other than aesthetics, between the standard reef metal halide lighting fixtures and those of the high bay variety. Could I use one of the dome light fixtures that would be found in a warehouse and hang it above my tank? I am looking at getting something like this: http://www.prolighting.com/crewbh14400mau-8.html

First, the ballast is located on top of the unit. This will make it extremely heavy and hanging it could pose a problem. The dome/reflector wouldn't reflect the light adequately enough for some high light loving corals. Next the socket should be horizontal to the surface of the water for maximum light coverage. So it could work but wouldn't be near efficient enough for all types of corals.

I would suggest cruising the classified ads here. People always have a good deal on a reef type lighting that you will need.

Also, I know it is very tempting to try and cut costs on equipment.... but... and I speak from first hand experience....don't do it! You will only cause yourself more worry and frustration! HTH

Last edited:
Anything for warehouse lighting is not going to give you the proper light spread from the reflector. Stick with a reef-designed reflector.

Ah, thanks for the advice. I had suspicions about there not being enough reflectors, but the weight and position had not really occurred to me.

I am quickly understanding that a little more investment in the beginning makes everything easier in the long run.

Thanks guys! :)

If you are absolutely stuck on the idea of using warehouse lights, use only the ballast portion, attach a cord to it, put the socket in a DIY or purchased reflector, and put horizontal-mount bulbs in it. It'll save you a little bit at least, but keep in mind that a warehouse ballast is most often dual-mode (halide and high pressure sodium) and could damage some reef bulbs. As long as you get a halide-only, get the proper socket / reflector combo and bulb (along with a few electrical / mounting precautions) you could use it, but it won't save you all that much money in the end.

Back