mh vs. vho vs. t5

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

darklcd

nursing eel
hey all after reading everything that you all said about that mh retro kit I let it go. I didn't want to get screwed out of 500 bucks.

What I wanted to know is if there is anyother lighting that will be ok for a 36" or 30"depth? I know its a long shot but I wasn't sure if it could be done or not.

Keep in mind that I will not having anything light demanding near the bottom and if I have to drop my high from 36" to 30" thats ok I can just get it made wider and it will be the same size.

let me know what you think and if 30" is a must for cheeper lighting thats ok

thanks

well, thats a big gap... 30 and 36

30 deep isnt that bad could probly strech some 150's but 36 is gonna need 400's

30 will be much cheaper to light, and the big seller for me was the fact that unless your an ape, 36" is hard as hell to reach the bottem... your gonna have your shoulder in the tank to get the bottem corrners.

30 will be eazyer to clean light, hell maybe even eazyer to look at...

lol

I was thinking that too. I am just wondering if I can get away with t5's insted of mh. I don't want to have any sps in my tank. I might get a clam or 2 but other then that nothing really light demanding. just wondering if t5's would work

T-5's are fine for most corals, just do lots of research on what you want to keep, especially clams, you won't be able to have everything out there. I missed your other thread, why don't you want MH's?

If you opt for T5s, definately get the Tek5 by SunSupply. They're the best out there. There's a couple units that only have a single reflector above all the bulbs. Tek5 has individual reflectors wrapped around each bulb. Much more efficient. Also keep in mind that clams are quite light loving and most need to be kept down deep to keep them from falling over. At least I think that's the case...lol. I'm going to be getting a 6 bulb Tek5 system for the 75 gallon reef I'm setting up. I will be keeping SPS but I'm only looking at a water depth of about 18"...much less than you. I'll keep the SPS high in the tank.

lol nope no apes here. but I don't mind going with a 30" height if i can get away with t5's I can get a really good price on them through a friend and I was looking at the tek5 set up.

I am just wondering with a 36" wide tank would one fixture work ok or would I need more then that just wondering?

If you want a clam in a DEEEEEEP tank, will need to go with halides. I am not impressed with t5s but that is just me. I consider the extra work of VHOs worth it and love MHs for simplicity and excellent output. They can be purchased on the cheap in the used markets

well I don't mind going with 30" depth thats still nice and tall and if I go 36" wide is the same gal so thats ok.

but with a 36" wide tank I would need more light fixtures would I not? I don't think that just one will do the job I would need front and back right?

Back