micro bubbles

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Not really bad but also not so good. They're not so good to look at, they cause more evaporation and as they pop at the surface, they tend to coat everything with salt crust eventually. Some say that they're bad for corals but I don't think that's been substantiated with any studies. Do you have a sump? If you, there are a few things you can do to cut back on them. Add a filter sock to your drain line, install a bubble trap baffle before your return pump. If you aren't running a sump, are they coming from your skimmer? Are your power heads too close to the surface and sucking air through their venturis? Do you know what's causing them?

im not sure whats causing them, but i think its my skimmer (prism) and my tank is 10 gallon, its not alot of bubbles but they arnt very nice to look at :(

I have a prizm. Some times cleaning them can help, but in the past I put a small peice of filter pad where the water flows out of the skimmer. I just used a rubberband to hold it. Make sure the filter pad doesn't get to clogged up because it can restrict flow.

If you use a filter pad or sponge, make sure you rinse it very regularly or it will become a nitrate factory. Sponges, or any media, quickly build up nitrates. In this case, it would do it even faster because of the oxygenation. The sponge wouldn't be totally submerged and would have air across some of it's surface, in effect, acting like a mini wet/dry filter. It would probably be very effective at stopping the micro bubbles though.

hmmm so basically wiht the filter its a win lose situation....but i guess as long as the bubbles arnt bad then i will jsut live with it

I have two power heads in my tank they spurt microbubbles ummm like when the intake is dirty or clogged?

I think I just answered my own question.........but it does remind me of a wave on the beach, so random, I digress(I am tired)
.... but I guess that is what skimmers are for....:rolleyes:
:lol: :lol:

off topic

And Gabby please! put a pic. of yourself on your signature instead of those old farts or I will MAKE you go to yoga class with me!

:badgrin: :lol: :badgrin: :lol: :badgrin: :lol:

P.S. Sorry old farts nothing personal...

Last edited:
Back