Microbubbles - Are they bad or just annoying?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

onehawksfan

Got Reef-er?
I have a 22 gallon reef tank with a ten gallon sump. Mag 7 running through SQWD. I seem to be getting a decent amount of little bubbles coming through my returns - nothing crazy, but you can definitely see them. These bubbles are very tiny. Are these just something I have to live with or/and will it negatively affect my fish/corals? The bubbles stay mainly in the top half of the tank. I don't have a skimmer in the sump yet - where are all the bubbles coming from? Could the pump be doing this? It is completely submersed in sump. The tank has been running for 2 weeks. Thanks for the input!:confused:

Is there a lot of splashing of the water entering your sump from the tank?
That could be a possible reason.
Also make sure all plumbing of the return side from sump to tank is totally sealed ( hose clamps or pvc glue for hard plumbing) all it takes is a little leak to create a way for air to be sucked into your return flow.

I believe everything is sealed really well. The connections to the SQWD are the only thing not sealed with pcv glue but there are no water leaks. I don't mind the bubbles as long as they do no harm to the livestock. That is what I'm trying to find out.

onehawksfan said:
I don't mind the bubbles as long as they do no harm to the livestock. That is what I'm trying to find out.
Depends on the livestock for the most part. Corals can become irritated so if a constant annoyance will be a source of stress. With fish, it can cause gas bubble disease. Looks very similar to popeye except the eye remains clear usually and you can visibley see a small bubble behind the cornea.

Cheers
Steve

Back