Mikey's New Toy

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Herefishyfishy

Smart Bass
This was Finn's previous 180 Gallon All Glass Aquarium. Running 3 icecap MH ballasts powering a couple luminarc minis and a standard reflector. the 2 ends are 10Kk Reflux bulbs, and the center is a 14Kk XM. Running 4 each 72" URI bulbs on 2 Icecap 660s. Mixed caulurpa and chyto tumbling in the fuge. Mostly standard gear otherwise. Still busy setting up timers, ATO, wiring, etc. Many will recognize the livestock, 90% came from Reef Frontier Members through purchase, trade, or adoption.

Full Tank

Left side

Middle

Right side

Last edited:
Milli Colony

CatsPaw, Favites, Green finger, etc.

Yellow Orange scroll plus Fav or Echino?

Rics

Monster sized Green Hairy Shrooms

Cherob and Gramma

Couple recent adoptees :>)

Monti Frag Set

Shrimp Cleaning Station Cave

Happy Fast Swimming Tang after his fill of Nori

Last edited:
that's a very nice setup Mike!!!! i really like the cavework!:) i was trying for that look in mine.. it also helps having a tang in there:rolleyes:

Finn and I are still recovering from a week ago or was it two? 4 men carried the tank, only one could fit through the door so I held one end for about 2 minutes that seemed like 1/2 hour before yelling "time out" and gently setting it down inside the doorway. Setting it up wasn't bad as I bought an additional 160 pounds of rock and could move the livestock one piece at a time. Last to move was the pair of clowns and their RBTA attached to a huge piece of Stag-horn coral I harvested in Mexico in 1969 from a virgin reef (one of the first ever swimmers there) near Cabo. Saving up enough RO water using my 35 gallon per day was a riot. Never been so quiet upstairs, have listened to Iwaki pumps in the living room every day for 20+ years. Dead silent now. Tank is on the first floor (basement of a split level) in a quite cool environment now warmed nicely by the tank. All good Karma here and having the time of my life.

that's a very nice setup Mike!!!! i really like the cavework!:) i was trying for that look in mine:rolleyes:
I love caves. Bought rock specifically with them in mind. Shelves over caves are handy.

Looks great Mike. You've done alot in a short time.:)

Marty, you were a HUGE help!!!!!!!!
I recognize that.... :) looks great!

Matt, Our tang is exceedingly happy. Cruising all over and non-stop nibbling on rock, Nori, plants. Loves swimming thru the caves.

how hard was it to move and re-setup?

Used back for sale. No longer works but neither do I:lol:

Great looking tank Mike!!!

Thanks Rick,still need to set up your ATO, been working flawlessly on the old 90.

Ryan your Milli is in a good place:D

I'm glad to hear the ATO is still working well for you, I can't imagine a tank without one now. And I talked my wife into getting a 120 :) I'll be starting up a thread once it's in the work. Now get matching bulbs!

Thanks dude. Been collecting rock for decades, no bull. Some from ebay, some from craigs, some from RF, and some brought home in very smelly cloth bags from the tropics, back in the 70s.

Mikey...I likey!!!:D Looks great man!!! Love the rockwork! It looks like you got a really great buy as well because the tank and everything looks like it is in really great conditon. Congrats:)

Hey Mike, let me know if you are going to want more rock. I'm going to pull some out of my 240 and my 40 today or tomorrow.

What a guy, not only helps me with his old tank, but gifts me rock right out of his newest tank!:lol:

Thanks Marty, but looks like I have enough for now. Am in the market for livestock and fish plus larger heater/controller and bigger seios (or tunze)

Something you might want to look into is the controllers for the seio's are out now. Ordered mine on Tuesday. They don't have as many features a tunze controller, they are more than $100 cheaper.

Looked up info on them, pretty cool. They turn the power down to 30% and then back up to full. Will run 2 powerheads. Any idea of price?

Last edited:
Back