Mikey's Solana cuz I wanna

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

nomercymike

Live Aloha!!!!!!!!
I'M BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Im looking into getting back in the hobby with a 34 gal solana. Has anyone drilled one out for an external sump?

ordered a vortech 10 today

Hey, just a heads up for you if you are going to go with T5 lights.

I ordered mine from Marine and Reef with the 20" Nova Extreme Pro........

http://www.marineandreef.com/Current_USA_Solana_Aquarium_s/530.htm

You will note that they sell one for $680 and another for $799, both with Free Shipping I think. I did my research and as far as I could tell the only difference was the way the light mounted, for $680 you get two metal arms that support the light from behind the tank, and for $799 you get a light with legs. I wanted a light with legs so I ordered the $680 light and a set of spare legs for $10 bucks, a savings of $109. When I got the $680 Solana kit not only did it have the metal brackets, but the light also came with the legs for resting on the glass rim, so I did not even need to order the legs. From what info I could get from Current, they were running some sort of promotion with the brackets and that is the reason for the price difference. As far as I know the tank and stand are identical.

Unfortunately I did not drill the tank, here is a link to my solana if you are interested....

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43201

Good Luck!

I am actually thinking of building a hood to suspend over it with a 250w SE HQI ballast in a lumen brite mini and thinking of incorporating maybe 4 t5's around the inside of the hood all fan cooled. I want this tank to rock, so it will take some time. I may contact Current USA and see if l can special order a tank pre drilled. I havent thought about livestock, but the snowpicasso clown fish are a possibility.

Sounds like a good plan. I am running the T5's and am very happy, I also have included the Current Powerbrite LED's, ones white and one blue. The LED's give the tanks the shimmereing effect that the halides would give without the heat, if that is going to be a concern....just a thought though. I know, hard to go wrong with Halides!

Looks like lm moving in July to Maple Valley like 5 mins from Fragman and Salsaking. So I will be holding off setting it up till I get settled in. Heck who knows may walk away with some more goodies from the Mid Columbia Meeting in July, wink wink

i love my solana (i've had it up for 6 months now)! its 34G and i'm already wanting something bigger though :-( i love how everything is hidden in the back, very very clean tank. the skimmer for me works great, i took out the ATO bottles and put in a auto top off from JBL. Let me know if you have any questions. I need to update pictures on my solana thread.

Maple Valley? MAPLE VALLEY??????
Who the heck wants to live out in BFE?

Mike S
Happy as a clam up North in the Burbs of SnoHo

Hey Maple Valley is hoppin'! I think we're up to 6 traffic lights! Plus Bricky is down here...I'm down here, well even though you guys don't know who the heck I am. Mike...let me know when you need some cheato...I'm rolling in it!!

Back