Mildew Sand

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ohio3ee1

I bought some sand off of someone and the bottem of the sand was all moldy and smelt bad. What can I do to save this sand or is it junk??

Thanks

IMO, reusing old sand is always going to stir up problems. After all that is where all the nastys live, and add to the fact that it is moldy. Look at the cost of your tank inhabitants and the price of new sand, it is a no brainier to change it out. I have upgraded 3 tanks and have never used more than a seeding cupful of the old.

Agreed I'd not use it, you could go through rinsing it throughly continuously but it won't be easy. You don't have to use live sand to establish a good SB, takes longer but lots cheaper.

When my dad set up his tank he put the sand in a bucket wtih small holes in the bottom and ran water through it till it ran clear. Then stir up and repeat until the sand seems fairly clean. It ended up working well.
-chris

i have reused sand in the past and just recently. i used an old pasta strainer and the garden hose. cleaned it very well and also removed all the bigger chunks of coral etc. just clean it really well. no sense in wasting a great product. just my thought. if its really bad .... bleach it and rinse very well or even cook it so its completely dry. if we were in a warmer climate i would lay tarp down in back yard and spead the sand out once cleaned to get it completly dry.

Back