Mini Brittle Stars

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ollie51

Anyone Have Any Ideas On What To Do With The Hundreds Of Mini Brittle Stars That I Have In Two Of My Reef Tanks And I Do Mean Hundreds I Read That They Are Good Scavengers But When The Lights Go Out They Are All Over The Place They Arent Bothering Me But How Many Is Too Many And Can You Sell Them?

I have tons of them as well, they never hurt anything and they add a lot to the tank!! If you were to sell them you would need to catch them first....once they get into their little cracks in the rock it would be hard to get them off, grabbing a leg will just rip off the leg....

Trade them or sell them. I wrote up a little blip on how to harvest them once before.

Here is an quick version.

Get a container big enough for you to dip a rock into (even a small rock can have several stars on it). Put some of your tank water in it and then add some fresh water to reduce the salinity. Then take a rock and dip it in the reduced salinity water several times. Your stars will "bail out" of the rock. Scoop up these stars and put them in a travel container with some of your tank water and a small pourous rock to keep them secure.

Robert came over a little while back and I dipped some rocks for him and harvested about 25 stars. They are a great little trade item and you get to trade for the things you want.

Enjoy!

Candy

The population is only going to be supported by the food source available. If you don't want to support the current population, then you can trade/sell some to local reefers, or watch your food input. IMO, they are great additions to a tank. What bothers you about them?

Back