mini jets and wave makers (and other questions)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kcharm

So I'm setting up a nano (or a pico, I don't recall where the cutoff is)...a 5 gallon minibow. Cool little tank. It'll be skimmerless because it's in my bedroom and I don't want to listen to the skimmer. I'll keep the bioload low and only stock hearty stuff so I won't miss the skimmer anyway. I'm waffling back and forth on how to do a fuge...

Do I run it in HOB filter? I bought a Tetratec 150, it was on sale, for this but am debating returning it.

or

Do I drill the back of the tank and run a fuge in a 2.5 gallon behind the display? This later option is clearly not as simple as the former but has some clear benefits...more water volume, more chaeto to suck stuff out of the water, etc.

For flow, I bought 2 minijet 404s. I'm pretty sure these plus the HOB filter will provide me with PLENTY of flow in a 5 gallon tank. The HOB filter already laternates flow through its return, but will the mini jets hold up to the rigors of being on a wave timer? I'd love to have the confused flow to keep my corals guessing. Whether on a wave timer or not, the mini jets will each be plumbed with 2 outlets, one pointing down to help keep the back bottom clean and one pointing towards the back of the rock...I think the HOB filter will get the rest. Clearly this is bb tank.

I'll be running Corallife 50/50 20 watt screw bulb in a desk lamp for lighting and I'll build a diy auto top off system to help keep my salinity nice and stable.

Speaking of corals, here's the plan, as simple as it maybe...green star polyps and something stalked; perhaps a very pretty finger leather of somesort. I'm hoping the green star polyps will eventually cover most of the bottom creating a lawn effect that should look really cool!

A cleaner shrimp, a couple hermits, and a couple of snails should round out the tank nicely. I'm still debating if I'll add a fish; I'm open to suggestions here as well.

Suggestions and comments are always welcome on this everchanging plan.

Honestly.....unless you are planning on the fuge only for pod production to support a specific critter that you plan on putting in there......i really see no value to dealing with the mess of it on a tank that small. It surely wont benefit you any as far as nutrient export. Water changes are all the nutrient export you need on a tank that small. The little bit of added water volume is a little bit of a benefit ...but i think you are better off simply running it with nothing but water in it or not having it at all.

I like the idea of not having it. I don't need the pods from it. I knida wanted it to help transport nutrients since I'm running skimmerless, but if it ain't gonna help, I just assume return it and buy a third mini jet...I need the wattage from it instead of a heater.

Back