mini plumbing parts source?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

halmus

RF Premium Member
I've got a GEO calcium reactor that has a few plumbing parts that seem non-typical. I need to replace an adapter piece that looks like 3/8" male threaded which fits into the effluent drip (out) of the calcium reactor. It adapts to a 1/4" male end that a typical 1/4" air hose would slide onto.

I've noticed that this was one of the weak-points in the design of the system and have intended to buy a stand by piece because I knew it would break at the worst time. Guess what time it is??? I'm going on vacation in a few days and it just broke. Not that big of a deal, I'll just go without the reactor while I'm gone.

Anyway, I don't think HD or any other local hardware store carries what I'm looking for. I've pretty much got their inventory memorized by now. Any ideas? Any stores local to the Puget Sound that carry atypical hardware supplies that might surprise me? How about online sources? I can't find what I'm looking for in the usual places like BRS or MD. Thanks.

Does it look something like this?

3XVK8_AS01_zpsa987acfa.jpg

Thanks for the quick reply. Ya, it looks quite a bit like that. It's hard to tell the dimensions of the piece in your picture Eric, but the threaded end is about 3/8" and the hose barb is for a 1/4" airline tube.

photo-1_zpsfbce2576.jpg

I had an epiphany in the shower, usually my best ideas are conceived using another bathroom fixture, but I realized that a "John Guest" (spelling?) fitting would work just as well. Actually, since I need to unhook it periodically to refill the media, the JG fitting should work great. I dug through some old parts bins and found one that should work. I'm off to the movies tonight, so I'll work on it in the morning.

If that doesn't work, Eric, do you have a source for those fittings? I'll be out of state for a week or so but I may need to get back to you about it if the fitting I have doesn't cut the mustard.

I believe we can get these from one of our local suppliers, maybe even same day. Let me know if what you have doesn't work and we can see about getting it for you.

I hooked up the fitting this morning and it works great. It's an improvement over the mini hose barb fitting which is inherently weak being so small in diameter. Thanks for the advice and responses.

Back