Minimum clam size without supplemental feeds

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

iwantone

With metal halides but WITHOUT supplemental feeding what is the minimum size recommended for clams?? Tank inhabitants are damsels and tangs.
Thanks

I am not a clam expert by no means, but I remember hearing anything below two inches is hard to keep and may require feedings. I remember hearing that if a clam is brightly colored it usually requires more light. Barry, will correct me if I am wrong I hope. I attended one of Barry's Lectures on Clams in Bellevue. I hope this helps.
Ed

Clams when they are young have thier digestive track open to the tank for supplimental food intake as they dont have enough surface area to properly farm enough zoox to feed on. From my experence the size is somewhere bewteen 2.5 inches and down but again can have more to do with the tank its in (nutrient rich or poor).

MIke

Thanks for the input. To be on the safe side I'll stay with 3 inches on up.

Clams when they are young have thier digestive track open to the tank for supplimental food intake as they dont have enough surface area to properly farm enough zoox to feed on. From my experence the size is somewhere bewteen 2.5 inches and down but again can have more to do with the tank its in (nutrient rich or poor).

I totally agree with you Mike. :)

i just got a 1 inch blue clam and he looks healty target fed him 4 times a day with dts plankton what else can i do???

I would make sure your water parameters are in balance. Are you feeding the clam out of the tank, or dosing phytoplankton near the clam?

in the tank just using a dilliuted dts phyto blend and using a turkey baster to slowly feed it

ok how does that mean he has to be in the sand otherwise it would i would have to get it off the rock and hurt the foot tell me a way i can keep him alive

Went looking through my collected foods and suppliments. Found a fresh 64 oz jug of Kent Zooplex.( got soo much stuff accumulated) I am aware this is not phytoplankton, will this suffice or save it for trading or for things like featherdusters, angels, etc?

I would get some phytoplankton. You may be able to find someone that makes it locally there, if you can't find any to purchase. If it helps any, you can always place the clam on an empty half shell to attach, which would make removing the clam easier for feeding in a separate vessel.

yea i have dts premium how much do i use i took it out and put it in a bowl with some tank water and phyto i dont know if it worked?

Got a litre of Phyto in the mail yesterday and ready to bowl feed the two little clams. The phyto is concentrated (VERY dark green) How much do I add to their bowl, a few drops to start? Keep them in the bowl in the tank for less moving stress? Refrigerate the phyto till ready to make more? Any other pointers?

fill a bowl with tank water high enough to completely cover the clams then add a few drops untill the water is slightly tinted green. place the clams in the bowl for about 20 min then back in the tank.

always keep the phyto in the fridge, make sure the cap is on tight and lay the bottle on its side. shake the bottle gently every day to help keep the phyto from clumping on the bottom

Back