Minimum co2 tank for calcium reactor

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tat2z_21

tat2z_21
I was wanting to put together a calcium reactor and was wondering what if I could use a paintball gun co2 bottle. I figure if it is regulted it should start me off right untill I can afford a bigger one. And if I did how long would that tank last. Any information would be great.

As I recall a paintball tank is around 12 ounces. Depending on the tanks calcium load I've heard of a 5lb cylinder lasting around 3-6 months. I personally use a 20lb on mine. Using 6 months for a 5lb cylinder a 12 oz tank would last just over a month.

3-6 months?
Respectfully, most that I know with 5 pounders find they last over a year. Perhaps depends on brand.
On a small CaRx feeding a small tank, the tiny bottles should be fine.

My 5 lb tanks last about 4-6 months. I will vary depending on your aqauriums needs, and the design of the reactor.

Nick

My 10 lb tank lasts 6 months on a 330 gal SPS tank. A lot depends on the drip rate that you use in the Calcium reactor. A light load tank may last much longer. A heavy load could be substantially less. The key factors are tank size, and calcium consumption, which impacts the drip rate. Heavy SPS and clams can really consume the calcium. There are calcular on the boards for estimating the consumptions, which determines the tank size required.

I'm running a 20# bottle on my 120, last about 4 to 6 months. I'm having trouble keeping the cal at 400, i think the sps's and everything else are using up alot of cal. I run a geo reactor and have been adding alot of co2 to try to keep the cal up. Anyone else having trouble keeping the cal up in their tanks. I quess i'm surprised how much cal is used up. Cal in the reactor is at 450 so i'm opening the valve more then testing the cal every other day to see where it is. Just wondering if others struggle sometimes. Sorry about budding in on this.

Thank you all for your information. I will go out and get atleast a 10# bottle. Thank you all for your info on this situation. And Kimo if I knew a little more about this stuff I would offer some advice however I am new to the calcium reactor madness and hope all gets worked out for you. As for all of the others thank you for taking time to post to this question. I do appreciate it.

I have a GEO calcium reactor as well on a 330 and struggle with the Cal/pH tradeoff. My 10 lb bottle lasts about 6 months. If you do a search you will find numerous articles on the topic of calibrating a ca reactor. I finally suppliment mine with a Kalkwasser Reactor which helps if you have maxed out the Calcium reactor capacity. I have heavy SPS and clams. By the way, 400 cal is not bad.

Back